+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much more are you willing to pay to buy local?

If I can get it locally, or it's an item they can order for me that I don't mind waiting for, I'll buy it from the fly shop. I do this with items like waders, wading boots, vests, reels, lines, etc..

If I need it now and they don't have it, I go where I have to in able to get it (I always tell them about it, as I want them to 'know' that if they'd carry what I wanted, I'd buy it from them...). Mostly this is tying supplies.

Price has little bearing on this. This is fishing, and we really 'need' none of this stuff. If I want a reel that's $600 at the fly shop and $300 on line, and I don't have the additional $300, I'll find a reel at the fly shop that costs the $300 (or wait until I have it all). It's only a fly reel, doesn't make that much difference one way or the other if I ever 'have' it.

Some folks think 'price' matters, though. Up to them.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I buy locally. Those folks aren't only neighbors. they're friends and fishing buddies. I can't state that aspect any better than Avalon did!
    What I don't like seeing, and I've seen it in the cycling and industrial sales business too, is when some unscrupulous customer picks the brain and wastes the time of a local merchant to find and even look at and borrow certain gear only to purchase that same gear from some far away faceless place that only knows you as a number... if that.
    To me, catalog houses are mainly order takers. The real sales generally come from a local dealer who provides that 'extra value' so many these days take for granted.

That said, I've yet to find any item I want on-line or through a catalog that I can't get at the same price locally. I guess that comes with building relationships.

All the local fly shops here give a 10% discount if you belong to one of the local FFF clubs.
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

Do I buy some on-line & at Cabela's?....YES!
    Will I pay more to buy it at a local shop?...YES!
    Bottom line is availability, personality, & service. IMHO, even MORE important to a shops' future than the money you spend there is the amount of positive feedback you give them afterward. I often post the name(s) of my favorite shops here & at a local site in Ohio. I figure if I can get 5 more people shopping at a local shop, it helps MY cause. I direct folks I've just met to these shops & also to FAOL.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I try to use the local shop as often as possible..I have a great one nearby..I only had an issue on two occasions that made me think about going elsewhere. I was looking for new waders and they only carried 2 brands, neither of which had a short enough leg for my size and weight. the other was when I was looking at Korker Konvertibles, they were about $45 more (about one third more than I could find them on line). I bought them there anyway because I could try them on and I got some real solid advice from them. I figure if the boots last me 3 years..It's $15 bucks a year and I lose that much in the sofa every year!..Nice to have and keep them around! Places like Sportsman's warehouse have their place too, because my guy can't carry everything.
    The Best time to fishing is when it's raining and when it's not

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

This thread is intriguing and frankly I'm starting to feel a little guilty for my buying habits.

I've made online purchases from sponsors of this board and to this point I have always been content in thinking that I was helping to support some fine people and businesses.

I was wondering if anyone else supports the e-tailers that support this community?
    Or do you only buy products made by sponsoring manufactures of this board, through your local fly shops?

All the best, Dave

I don't know about you guys but if you are in the price range of a 550 or 600 dollar rod, does 50 dollars really matter? I think if you can get that expensive of rod, money may not be a huge concern.
    I do like reading the posts about local versus retail, and it reminds me of what a great country we live in that we have the choices that we do, and that we can talk about these types of things without worrying about things that other countries have to worry about.
    The comment on the other thread about a guy coming in casting the rods, then getting one cheaper and telling the owner about it, how did he not get a black eye? That is just rude.
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

Default Guilty

of having gone in to look at an item and purchased it cheaper elsewhere but I think the situation truly warranted it. I agree that if you can afford $600 rods (I can't) that the $50 probably isn't a big deal. I normally search high and low for USED items as a public servant. Other items however, tying supplies being the most common, I always buy from my favorite local shop (Highland Outfitters in Cartersville, GA...somewhat shameless plug) unless of course they don't have it. They will give discounts like you mentioned on a lot of items and I've noticed on some items that's not the case but I strongly believe that has a lot to do with the previous comment about companies frowning on retailers' discounts. I made the terrible mistake of counting on BPS for wading boots last year (their brand too). I was fortunately able to locate a very nice young lady in customer service there who gave me a card for store credit for the 3rd pair I had returned and I wised up and used it on consumables (tying materials) and returned to my local shop to buy some Chota STL's at what is to me a pretty stiff price of $120 but seems very much worth it so far. The shop (well, Mark) has provided me with tons of knowledge and is offering more about things I struggle with and would continually struggle with without his help. I'm finding out this is a sport you can't self-teach. I like to think we are even pretty good friends at this point though we haven't seen each other much outside the shop but that may change very soon. I have been to his home to check out his basement and its bottomless pit of a fly-tying/rod-building center. I'm hoping he'll teach me how to build the rod I purchased from an FAOL member soon. Bottom line for me as a frugal buyer of all things fishing (but that is where every cent of any extra income I have goes), is that I will buy from the local shop 100% if they have what I need and can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    This thread is intriguing and frankly I'm starting to feel a little guilty for my buying habits.

I've made online purchases from sponsors of this board and to this point I have always been content in thinking that I was helping to support some fine people and businesses.

I was wondering if anyone else supports the e-tailers that support this community?
    Or do you only buy products made by sponsoring manufactures of this board, through your local fly shops?

All the best, Dave
    Dear Dave,

In answer to your question I have to say that I don't really deal directly with any of the sponsors of FAOL.

Expanding on that I can say that out of about 15 graphite fly rods that I own exactly 3 are from companies that are not sponsors of FAOL. I purchased almost all of those rods before I even had internet access through one of the 3 fly shops I like to deal with. It just so happens that those shops carry gear from manufacturers who do support the site so I suppose I do, or did, support it as well?

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Hi Avalon,
    You got it, there are online retailers like Hill's, Hook & Hackle and a few stores that advertise here, that I've bought from and then there are manufacturers ( Sage - S.A. ) who advertise here and their products can be purchased from web based stores, brick and mortars that also have website's and brick & mortars that don't have a web presence.

Regardless of which we use, if they advertise here aren't we supporting the sponsors and if so, how bad can that be?

It seems to me, if we shun internet retail purchases and the majority of us don't live anywhere near the retailers that advertise here, then why would they wish to continue to support the forum that we all use?

Sending some business their way, is no different than frequenting a fly shop because they offer free coffee, a round table to shoot the bull at ( which is what we're doing right now ) or a place to hang ones hat for the day. ( I've hung my hat here more than once ). I mean good people and good service aren't the sole domain of brick and mortars.

So for me at least, supporting the retailers that support this little club house, is no different than supporting my nearest fly shop........and often this place is a whole lot friendlier. ( it's also open 24/7/365. )

All the best, Dave

+ Reply to Thread