Try one of your friends rods when out on the water. Just switch up for a little while. So many guys buy the high dollar rods because it is the best thing they think is out there. I can't count the number of guys with Winstons, Loomis, Orvis T3's, Scotts, and Sages that THINK they can cast just becasue they have a high dollar rod. Now don't get me wrong I love the rods too and am a proud owner of several Sage, St. Croix and Orvis rods. My point is until you find the perfect fit for your casting style you don't know what you are missing. Everything comes together when you find the correct flex or speed for your style. Not too mention tighter loops, better control, ease of mending, longer casts. or for that matter more precise short casts. Can you hit a dixie cup from 25 feet with your fly?

Another thing...I don't use the same rod for every fishing situation. Don't take a knife to a gun fight unless you are the worlds greatest knife fighter. Why do you think there are so many rods out there? Some rods are just more specialized than others for specific areas/elements/styles of fishing. I highly recommend taking advantage of the rod casting demos at the TU meetings, FFF conclaves, Sow BUg Conventions, shows etc... Some of the best ways to find out what you really enjoy are picking up a different rod to cast. Otherwise how will you ever know?

Just food for thought.
Waders