+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deer hair or Elk hair, or small yellow hackle question

Blog Entries

Default Deer hair or Elk hair, or small yellow hackle question

I have been making some of Danbobs yellow sallies with tan Elk hair because that was all I had. I have found some really nice yellow deer hair that looks better on the finished fly because of its thinner diameter. However I had a thought ( scarey as it may seem ) does deer hair float as well as Elk or does it sink like a rock.

Also danbob if you read this, I tried to find your post about finding a scorce for small yellow hackle , but couldn't find it. It may not even have been your thread. Anyway I couldn't find the post. did you ever get a scorce for it?

Thanks.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

2. Default

I have gotten some nice small yellow hackle on the Lines end coop. Straight yellow and barred yellow. Since it is not a color I use a lot, this is an inexpensive way to get saddle hackle of unusual colors. www.linesend.com

Deer hair floats just as well as elk.

For yellow hackle you could dye some white hackle with Koolaid.

Ditto on the Lines End referral.

You really owe it to yourself to checkout the closeouts they have on the [url=http://www.linesend.com/product/bargain_bin_2.shtml:7b052]Whiting 100 Packs[/url:7b052]. They still have Pale Yellow & Grizzly Dyed Pale Yellow at $7.00 a pack.

I don't know about Danbob's Yellow Sallies but I tie mine as basically a yellow Elk Wing Caddis and the 100 packs make tying palmered hackle a breeze. I also found that trying to find decent dyed yellow Elk hair was near impossible. Instead I found some really great stuff that was a very light cream. Combined with a yellow body and yellow hackle it looks great and the fish love it!

5. Default

What is the recipe for the yellow sally if I may ask? I am heading out west this summer and would like to tie some other patterns.

Litehen55:

There are MANY versions of a Yellow Sally that range from classic wet flies to various other critters.

The Yellow Sally I am mentioning is a small yellow stonefly that hatches in abundance here in PA. The natural is best imitated with a size 16-18 hook. I don't know if that is what you will encounter where you are going but if so here is the way I tie mine:
    • *Hook - your favorite dry fly hook
      *Thread - your favorite yellow thread
      *Body - your favorite dubbing, (I like Hot Yellow Ice Dub)
      *Hackle - yellow hackle tied full Palmer
      *Wing - the palest cream Elk hair you can find
    Keep in mind this is nothing but a yellow Elk Wing Caddis. I know there are fancier flies out there to imitate the natural I am talking about but this simple fly has proved super effective and super simple for me.

Blog Entries

Danbob's Yellow sallie is a past fly of the week . It was on in either september or december 2006. great article and really nice pictures and instructions .
    check it out in the past fly of the week files.

Blog Entries

thanks Duckster I was trying to figure out how to do that.

Thought so

+ Reply to Thread