How does one go about submitting a pattern as a Fly of the Week? Assuming the folks who oversee that section, consider those "flatfish" flies. There really isn't any tying involved. Also, my skills with a digital camera are limited, so I'm not sure if I could take decent pictures of the process. I've got a couple of swaps to finish up, before I start playing with other stuff. I want to do a couple of more that size, when I do that I'll take pictures as I go along. My actually goal is to get a couple working ones for panfish. I made a prototype last year that worked, and lost it to a tree before I could duplicate it. The other couple I "tied" didn't work near as well as the original.
Bear742:
I've been trying for years also, and these are the first to actually work. One of the things you need to look at is the width of the lip and its angle, along with the position of the eye where you tie leader in. I've found that trying to imitate the action of any type lure, Zara Spook, Tiny Torpedo, Wood Choppers, Hula Poppers, Flatfish, etc. is hard to do when you put the body on a single straight shanked hook. The only ones that worked reasonably well were Hula Poppers and J-Plugs though the J-plugs didn't have the action of the lure, they did dive shallow.