+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warm-water, One-Fly Contest!!!

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Wow, just when you think that you've written the rules to cover every "what if" along comes Bear with a flatfish . Bear, my personal inclination would be to allow the flatfish . I don't see a lot of difference between a gurgler and a flatfish. Of course the gurglers can be tied by just about anyone and the flatfish is pretty much limited to Heddon's production line or Jim Hatch and that Dremel tool of his. I'm sure that others are going to disagree with decision on the flatfish.

I also agree that a One-Fly Contest could be a great event for a Warmwater FishIn.

Thanks for your input 8T

You mean you'd let me use one of these "flatfish" if I decided to can the Sneaky Pete

Philly,

Did you make those flatfish yourself? I am really impressed if those are genuine home-made lures. It would certainly solve the durability problem. 8T

Default Wish I could come!

Most of ya'll don't remember me, I'm sure. I used to frequent a few years ago, but haven't been around for quite a while.

I'd use a crappie candy variant, tied on a size 8 with dumbell eyes, marabou, and bucktail all in chartruse with couple of red-gloss floss tied around the gill area.

I'd fish with a 9ft 6 wt. and I'd carry floating, 10ft sink tip and full intermediate sinking line.

I'd fish all species with this rig and would cover every depth down to ~25ft.

8T:
    They're home-made. I made them with my scissors and Dremel Tool out of white foam cylinders. I used a lure called a Kwik Fish as a model, same family as a Flatfish. It started as a joke. A friend up in northern Ontario, asked me if I could pick up a couple of Kwik Fish for her and her husband, in yellow with black and red spots and drop them off on my way north to the lodge I go to. I couldn't find any in those colors. Since they also fly fish, I figured I'd make them a Kwik Fish "fly". When I took it out to test, it actually worked, wiggling and diving so I went home and "tied" a couple more. They're for a 6 wgt or larger rod.

MontanaFlyGuy, welcome back. Hope that you're going to join us on a more regular basis from now on.

Philly, those are beautiful flatfish. I hope that you'll consider submitting them as a Fly of the Week. Any chance of that? 8T

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs
    Philly, those are beautiful flatfish. I hope that you'll consider submitting them as a Fly of the Week. Any chance of that? 8T
    Yes please do that. I have been trying for years to carve a working Flatfish.
    Bear742

How does one go about submitting a pattern as a Fly of the Week? Assuming the folks who oversee that section, consider those "flatfish" flies. There really isn't any tying involved. Also, my skills with a digital camera are limited, so I'm not sure if I could take decent pictures of the process. I've got a couple of swaps to finish up, before I start playing with other stuff. I want to do a couple of more that size, when I do that I'll take pictures as I go along. My actually goal is to get a couple working ones for panfish. I made a prototype last year that worked, and lost it to a tree before I could duplicate it. The other couple I "tied" didn't work near as well as the original.
    Bear742:
    I've been trying for years also, and these are the first to actually work. One of the things you need to look at is the width of the lip and its angle, along with the position of the eye where you tie leader in. I've found that trying to imitate the action of any type lure, Zara Spook, Tiny Torpedo, Wood Choppers, Hula Poppers, Flatfish, etc. is hard to do when you put the body on a single straight shanked hook. The only ones that worked reasonably well were Hula Poppers and J-Plugs though the J-plugs didn't have the action of the lure, they did dive shallow.

This one is running down. So I posted a day two version with some new twists.
    Bear742

+ Reply to Thread