I want to fix my fathers old 8.5 ft. Heddon, HDH or D, 3 pc. bamboo for sentimental and practical reasons. Though I will not be using it extensively, I want to cast with it a few times for old times.

The problem is on the tip end of the center section. The bamboo snapped off at the base of the female ferrule. Simply, remounting the existing ferrule seems to me to be a bad idea because I would have to shave down the "new" end of that section a lot for it to fit in the bottom of that old female ferrule. Then it has to mate with the male ferrule on the old tip. That would weaken it too much. At least I know that on another Heddon rod, the center section broke again when I tried just reducing the top end of the section to fit the old ferrule. Any ideas?

Again, for sentimental reasons, I would like to do the repair myself. So let me thank you in advance for any offers to do the job for me.

The rod has been broke for at least 30 years. I figure I got 10 or more years to fix it before I forget how to wrap the thread around the base of the ferrule so it mathces the other windings. But I would like to get the job done earlier-ready for spring this year.