+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A quiz of sorts

Gentlemen;
    Although a critique of Quammens statement in paragraph was not the point of this thread, the jist of same was at question. In my humble opinion, were it possible to liquify his words and boil them for a spell, the reduction would yield " trouts don't live in ugly places".
    At the risk of incurring the wrath of the "enlightened" I once heard it stated even better: " Trout must be God's favorite fish because He put them into His most beautiful waters".

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

To me, the real "magic" of this thread is the power of the modern Internet. Erudition and literacy which once took a lifetime to achieve can now be ascertained by typing a phrase into a search box and hitting ENTER.

I'm reading Gordon McGuarrie's STORIES OF THE OLD DUCK HUNTERS right now and really enjoying it. It's almost as much about trout fishing as it is about duck hunting...and really very little about either. Actually, the theme is the relationship between the President of the Old Duck Hunters Assn. and the author. The setting is duck hunting and trout fishing in Wisconsin during the 1930s and 40s.

Anyway, I find more enjoyment in the slow digestion of the books than in the blistering speed and awesome scope of Googling. I'm just funny that way I guess.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

I was thinking, if RW an Tyeflies were all done w/ the "how, where and what to" books, I could definately use em'!

------------------
    Land Em',
    Carp

Flying Carp, RW here

You're kidding I hope. Some of my books are worth hundreds of dollars, for instance a leather bound, personally signed and numbered edition of Vince Marinaro's "A Mosern Dry Fly Code in slip case.

Some things ya just don't part with.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Actually, I wasn't kidding. I didn't realize that I couldn't afford the books that you have acquired and do not use. It just sounded like they were useless to you and you didn't need them anymore.

PS; Sounds like a super collection. Lots of time I bet.

------------------
    Land Em',
    Carp

SM,

... Erudition and literacy which once took a lifetime ...
    IMHO, the I*Net only makes documentation available

It's still up to the reader to turn it into knowledge

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:3d496]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:3d496]
    Christopher Chin

Of course, but imagine the work and familiarity with the textual body of work; not to mention the effort and expense of collecting the works, which would have gone into answering that question 20 years ago vs. what is possible today.

I think this is both good and bad.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

RW: "Lately I've become much more interested in the literature associated with fly fishing".

Then may I recommend: "Haunted by Waters
    Fly Fishing in North American Literature" by Mark Browning.

Assuming you are not already aware of this work, I highly recommend this book.

+ Reply to Thread