I think you can still camp on Cape Lookout National Seashore; this site has a few others:
http://www.crystalcoastnc.org/ThingsToD ... d/Camping/
If those don't suit your needs, there's plenty of motels in the area - Atlantic Beach, Morehead City, Beaufort and Harker's Island. We stayed at Calico Jack's on Harker's a few times; pretty decent operation with protected boat slips and about a 15 minute run to the Hook. You can also fish Beaufort Inlet but conditions there can be a bit hairy - we got caught outside the inlet in an outgoing tide and an onshore wind in a 19' and almost didn't make it back. Cool thing about fishing out in the ocean (when conditions are favorable) is that you can sometimes follow trawlers (at a safe distance!) and get into some really fast action when they dump their by-catch. Not as exciting as casting to breaking fish, but fun.
We kept our fly selection pretty simple; mostly Alba-Clousers (tied with Ultra-hair instead of bucktail and a little silver Crystal Flash) in olive/clear, chartreuse/clear, size #2-4 and fished with an intermediate line. Majority of the baitfish we saw them feeding on were bay anchovies between 1 1/2 to 3 inches and silversides that ran a little larger. When we fished behind the trawlers we used 3/0 chartreuse Half-and-Halfs using something like a Teeny 350. Crease flies and Gurglers worked on top.
Make sure your gear, especially your reels are in good working order - we never saw anything like the 200 yard runs we'd heard about but plenty of times they'd go out 120 yards in nothing flat. Any hitch in your drag and you break off. I fished either a 9wt or 11wt, depending on wind. ALthough it's nice to be able to make long casts (more important if you're fishing from shore), it was more important to be able to cast quickly and accurately.
Like I said, we haven't been there in a few years, and things may have changed; hope this helps some and at least points you in the right direction.

Regards,
Scott