+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new super tip lines

Default new super tip lines

Has anyone tried one of the new lines that are supposed to have a super high floating tip that keeps floating?

I have not ever really found a bad line from any of the main manufacturers. But all the lines I have used thus far - the first foot or so sinks - especially as the line gets used more. It's kind of annoying. And definitely affects fishing when you are nymphing.

I think Cortland makes the dyna tip. And I think SA makes something similar.

thanks,

Greg

glm38,
    I happened to be on both of their websites yesterday [looking for some taper specs..which they didn't seem to provide ]...and noted that SA does have such a line....I have the Dynatip by Cortland and haven't used it enough to say for sure but I felt it did indeed provide better flotation.
    Since SA came out after Cortland...I think.... I guess they thought it worth imitating

It seems to me that delicacy will be lost if the tip is made to float higher. I haven't tried them yet, but don't they have to make the tip thicker? Admittedly, I don't know how much it would actually affect fishing, and I am probably not good enough to notice the difference. But it has made me leary of them.

I also have had good luck putting fly floatant on the tip of my triangle taper.

Adam

The Rio's I've used for 2 years float like corks. Same goes for the Cortland 555 Dyna-Tip DT and WF I've used for a year now.
    Can't say the same for SA lines but am very glad to see that their improved lines now supposedly have tips that float.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Greg

+ Reply to Thread