I received my new 9064 Redington CPS this week. It is a remarkable rod. The fit and finish are as close to flawless as I have seen. It is a beautiful deep dark emerald green with a rosewood uplocking reel seat. The 2 stripping guides are silicon carbide wrapped with a 1/2 shade darker green thread with silver hilights. The cork in the cigar grip is superb. The rod is a 9 foot 4 piece 6 weight that is listed at 3.4 oz. It sells for $249.
I put it together for the imfamous wiggle test. I was amazed at how light it felt in my hand. I wiggled it and my first thought after how light it was is that that it was maybe a little too stiff but I also noticed how quickly it dampened.
Of course because of Murphy's law the line I had ordered did not come with the reel and backing and had to be back odered.
I went to plan b. I got out a Scientific Anglers headstart 5wt line and headed for my lawn.
I made serveral 15 to twenty foot casts and it performed perfectly completely washing away the stiff impression I got on the wiggle test.
Redington rated the rod series as extra fast. It certainaly is quick and maybe it the heavier line weights would be extra fast. Tight loops are a breeze but you can open them up with out any problem.
Next I stripped out some line and made 70 foot cast effortlessly. I stripped out some more and cast all the line and 15 feet of backing( headstart line is only 80 feet long). I used a short double haul on the last two casts but really did not open up into wide open stance , long stoke stlye sometimes used in saltwater.
Casting to targets (leaves) at different distances proved it to be extremely accurate. It felt like a weightless extension of my arm.
I know this will raise some eyebrows but I also tested an eight weight line on it. While I would never fish 2 sizes over I was curious how it would do. While I did not try and push it, on 20 to 60 foot casts it felt fine. Still nice tight loops, effortless control.
Did I say it was It was light!
I purchased this rod for lake and big river fishing for trout and summertime warmwater bass fishing on my home waters And I have no doubts it will do all that and more.