+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Something Different

Default Something Different

Ok .... got myself thinking - and that could be trouble ............. time for some tying evolution. Was involved with this once on another site with cool results, now I thought - 'there's numerous fly tiers here' ...

Was wondering who's up for some .... Experimentation ? A few feathers, some fur, maybe a little glue, some flash, rubber ....... Whatever grabs your fancy.

No physical swapping of flies - just you tying and a pic or 2 of what you came up with.

Take the good old .... Wooly Bugger. The iconic 'I hate you fly' of many, but so damned effective, if can represent numerous aquatic critters depending how it's fished. This fly has to have been tweeked, adjusted, altered numerous ways over the years.

Let's see what Abhorrition you can come up with - or already derrived creature you like. It doesn't have to be proven effective - just ........ What can you come up with. Must have the original WB ingredients (marabou tail, body, palmered hackle). Lead / weight is optional. Anything else is ............. up to you.

I'll toss mine up here Monday (as I'm not around a PC over the weekend).

darrell,

Well - here's what I came up with over the weekend ......

I like using bead chain eyes, then toss on some pheasant tips for pectoral fins - and VOILA

a good minnow pattern

Or ..... Toss on a zonker strip and ...

furry and uglee leech

The WB lends itself to a great base to create different flies / patterns. It's been done a lot, but for some reason, the WB is looked down upon. It may not be gracious and exotic as a dry, or interesting as a nymph .... but it's a staple fail-safe that should adorn your fly box (even if just as a Wooly Worm).

I've used WW's or WB's to find the fish - then switch over to other 'not-so-traditional/normal' flies to see how to fish them to get the fish to strike. Turns an otherwise boring day into a test run and interesting journey.

darrell,
    (sorry about the pics ..... The crystal chenille doesn't lend to pics too well).

its ugly, but i bet it works

Sorry, no palmered hackle - it's tied in as a collar. I picked this up from an older fisherman I met once. I like the smaller profile. But I added the rootbeer krystal flash and bead head and this is now one of two go-to flies that I use (warmwater).

Not the best picture or tying job. Hook is Mustad 9671 #6. Beads 6/0 Czech glass.

Tim

+ Reply to Thread