I guess that has to do with the rod, really. I have a cheep rod I sort of ended up with that I could not get to load. It's an import that South Bend put it's name on. Finesse in the model. About as much finesse as "Larry the Cable Guy". 9ft 9-10 weight. Don't those # just make you think "Finesse". Tryed a WF10F and it took almost 50 ft. to get it to flex. Went to a WF11F and it was OK but, I was looking for somthing for short casts. Was looking for somthing on Ebay and got a 444 in WF13F Tropic for about 10 bucks.. Well that'll cover it. You could cast a cat with it. Don't use the rod much, who would, but I have some big old nasty bass flys that I can make short casts in the weeds with now. I started fishing 3 weight rods a few years back and would never do anything like bumping up 3 or 4 line weights on a Sage or any of them. When I fish steelhead on a small river here, North Umpqua, most of the casts are short and I'm not afraid to bump a big rod up. New to the site, lots of good info here. Just wondering how many of you bump it up a line weight or am I still doing it to make up for my casting.