+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help Fly fishing for Mullet in South TX

Default Need Help Fly fishing for Mullet in South TX

Just moved to south TX and I'm out of my "element". My wife and I were fishless on our first wading trip in "the salt" (we're seriously considering kayaks, but until then...). 12 -18 inch Mullet were jumping within a rod's length, but we couldn't get a nip. My research indicates this could be an exciting species. Does anyone have any fly tying or fishing tips for mullet? {I know Reds and Spotted Trout are the thing and I'm on it. However, if I can't get to them on any given day and the mullets are there, I would like to have the option, especially for my wife's and kid's enjoyment of the sport.}

Very respectfully,

Adam M. Aycock
    LCDR USN

Default mullet fly fishing

Maybe this link will help. Best of luck.

http://www.fishnet.com.au/flyswap/articles/mullet.html
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I've probably caught more mullet on a chartreuese / white bead eye clouser than any other fly.....all total about 4. With that being said, I know a fellow that takes a dry fly hook and ties a piece of white yarn, similar to an egg pattern, some with and some with out sparkle. Then he'll chum up the mullet with some bread and crackers. when they gather en masse, he'll slip the fly in. One drawback, hardheads will show up in with the mullet. That can create a mess.

Also, there are a couple of forums on UK sights (that I have stumbled across) that direct their discussion to fishing for mullet.

Tight lines, Chris

Default Chumming?

So, it looks like chumming with bread is key...this doesn't sound like angling? One could say that they are creating their own "hatch", but that's a stretch!

Blueater,

living in Portland, you shouldn't worry about fishing for mullet, anyway. Within 30 minutes drive, you have some great trout, redfish, snook, tarpon and other specie fishing available to you. I'd plan a trip out to the Island or Packery and go for something a little bit sportier.

Tight lines, Chris

Sportier?? Ever had a fair sized Mullet on a light rod??

Man they are all over the water and above it too- strong fish too. I hooked one once ( NOT foul hooked-he bit it)- on a lead head with a red and white shrimp tail- hooked through the upper lip. Talk about a battle.

The other fish might be more reliablely caught but if you could hook mullet frequently, they'd be considered a sport fish for sure.

Default Mullets R Fish 2

From what I understand about Reds and Speckled Trout, they have taken to deeper waters during these winter months. I look forward to the warmer seasons and fishing for them, but right now, without kayaks or boats, I'm restricted to wading. And, I must say, I'm not picky wrt specie. I'm even eager to hook into these mullet that must be a cousin of the mullets that the UK has dubbed the British Bonefish.
    Warmest regards,
    Adam

Make a small green, micro-shrimp - #10/12 and cast it in front of pods of mullet. Do not give it any action, but rather wait for the mullet to "feed up to" the fly. Then, hang on, 'cuz for their size, mullet fight like crazy!

While every mullet that ya' cast to won't jump on it, enough will, that you'll be willing to keep some green micro-shrimp in your saltwater box.

Tight lines,

Bowfin47
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

Tks, Bowfin! I'll tie some of those up tomorrow and see if I can wet a line some time this week - will keep you posted.
    V/r.
    Bluwatr

+ Reply to Thread