+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parachute Post

Default Parachute Post

When tying a parachute style fly, does the color of the post matter? Is it correct that the fish do not see this portion of the fly and it is only for the fisherperson to be able to follow the drift of the fly? Thanks in advance for your replies.

GRP, I tye most of my parachute flies with orange or chartruse posts. This is easier to see the fly on the water, and I do not think the trout really see the post.

I'd say it doesn't matter from my experience.I tend to use white calf body hair or antron for most of my parachutes with a few fluorescent yellow or orange wing posts for a change.

Agreed the post is for the fisherman to see the fly. I use calfhair myself for my posts

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I usually use white poly yarn or antron for my posts. I've got the problem of "old guy" vision and white seems to work well for me under most conditions. I've tried other, brighter colors but I seem to find the white post better under most conditions. Just my 2% of a dollar. I'm sure others will disagree. 8T

Default Re: Parachute Post

Quote Originally Posted by GRP
    When tying a parachute style fly, does the color of the post matter? Is it correct that the fish do not see this portion of the fly and it is only for the fisherperson to be able to follow the drift of the fly? Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Vince Marinaro showed clearly that a trout can see the wings of a fly, so no, the statement that "the fish do not see this portion of the fly" is definitely wrong.

What color a fish sees is more open to question. For example if the fly is backlit, then the entire fly including the wings, will look basically black to the trout.

And it may also be that the trout have other triggering characteristics besides wing, or even body, color.

Generally, experts tend to put color on the least important characteristic of a fly below size and shape.

I have tried asking the fish I have caught if they can see the post but I never seem to get a answer. So I am going to go under the assumption that they can just to be safe. You never know what is going to make a fish bite, look at a Chernoble Ant. What are those fish thinking?

Kill? :))

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Sometimes a crowd can be the loneliest place

I second the old man eyes,I use "Poly& Antron" in the Britest colors I can find...Now if I could find a "lettle" strobe and power pack I'd use it.
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread