+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avid or Launch

Default Avid or Launch

I've been fly fishing for two years now and I think it's time to upgrade my gear.
    Since I'm still learning proper casting I would like to pick up new rod that would be an upgrade from my Premier and Cabelas rods. Need something for Smallies and LMB's so I'm thinking about 7wt as a decent rod (I hate to go too heavy - there is no fun in landing the fish). It also needs to be a moderate action rod to help with my casting skills. I have narrowed my choice down to St.Croix Avid and Sage Launch.

Any opinions as to which one would suit me better?
    I'm leaning toward St.Croix since I have few Premier rods (fly/spin/cast) and like them very much.
    On the other hand I hear and read a lot of good things about Sage.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

No one, other than you, can know which rod will suit best.

Both the Launch and Avid rods are fine fly rods and either would be a good choice. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Have you cast either?

The St. Croix Reign is very similar to the Premier, but with better hardware.

I happen to have several high, medium, and low end Sage Rods, but also have a couple of St. Croix Premier and older Imperial models and enjoy them very much too.

I have handled a St. Croix (gave a Reign to my son for a gift) and fish mostly a Sage. For me the grip is critical. My clear preference is for the Sage grip. I like the cork handle to be long (Sage is about as long as they get, and many other makers use shorter lengths of cork) and I like the taper of the Sage. Many makers taper the handle too much and the front is too thin, IMHO.

Peter F

Default Avid rods;

Just my two cents on the Avid, I have a 7wt. that has landed many steelhead, kings and bass, L/M and S/M. It has plenty of backbone for fighting and landing big fish but does not cast big heavy flies very well. I have experimented with different line weights and tapers and have had limited success finding a way to chuck a big clouser or magnum bunny fly that is wet. I am currently building a nice 8wt. with a big fighting butt to do battle with the northerns come ice out.

JA

you may also want to look at the TFO series one rods have a nice medium action while the professional models have a med/fast action. also look at the orvis clearwater. the avid and launch are good roods too but i recommend you try different models and actions to actually feel which does best. also take a big fly with you when testing the rods. i'm sure there are several shops in the area that have demos for you to try.

Thank you flypersons :D .
    After further testing, discussion and research I have placed an order for Avid.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread