+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How young is to young to start flytying?

Default How young is to young to start flytying?

Well, January is upon us and fly tying season is picking up again. The local Fish and Game is having its annual fly tying course, not sure how many new students there will be, but I will probably end up teaching again. My 5 year old son is EXTREMELY intersted in going with me, last year he went with me and sat and watched. I think he is a little young to take the course, he loves sitting beside me watching and passing me stuff.

How young is to young to start flytying? He sits on my knees at home and I help him tie wooly buggers but his dexterity is still developing and I don't want him to get frustrated (someone needs to inherit my pile of stuff when I am done). I need to get him a vise this year so he can tinker while I teach, do you have suggestions on a vise for him?

Thanks,

Dwight

Obviously you will see when he is ready. As you noted the dexterity is critical. By the time I was in 7th grade my room smelled like glue and model paint (dope) and was filling up with model planes, both balsa and paper covered "stick" planes. Though he never said it, I think my father thought that my dexterity was going to waste on toys. He got me a Tackle-Tyers Fly Tying kit from the Ward's catalog so I could make Plymouth Rock Streamers for him. So how old is 7th Grade? It sounds like your son will develop sooner. BTW I tied flies for 2-3 years before I started using them myself. Too bad you can't get him a Herter's Catalogue to study when you are at work.
    Bear742

My five year old daughter does the same thing so I set her up with a vise, anytime I sit down to tie she comes and joins me. it is not important that she makes good flies at this point, it is time spent...she picks what she wants to put on the hook. pink is very popular! i dont criticize just watch. you will be amazed at how fast they will pick things up, she now can wrap thread like a champ and is getting better at attatching what she wants on the hook...i guess my point is let them tie when they want. when he gets older girls, cars and friends will take over.
    gary

ps anyone have a flyrod for a 5 year old girl will be needed by spring...(yyyeeessss)

let 'em watch ... let 'em play ..... soon enough they'll ask "Can I try that" ...... then they are ready to start.

It only took a couple months after I started tying before the son (then asked to try. I buried the hook in the jaws for a while ... nothing outstanding, but he ties a mean BHWB.

Remember they're kids - all else will come in time.

darrell,

Default I don't think they are ever too young....

My three year old daughter loves being around when I tie flies but hasn't yet wanted to try on her own. She likes the colors and the "pretty" Atlantic Salmon flies that I tie and that is probably the most important step in my opinion. Let them be interested and they will pick it up when they are ready. Is a 5 year old ready? I say let him try and if he doesn't like it you can always try again next year.

My son will be born on the 22nd and I think he will be tying wooly buggers by the time that we leave the hospital.

Let us know how he does with the lesson if you let him participate.

i started tying when i was 14. but i agree with everyone. just sit him down and let him tie away. then at the end ask him how he likes it and if he wants to tie another.

how much do you want to pay for a vise, and do you want it to be a rotary vise?

In my experience teaching kids to tie, 8 yrs old is about the earliest they can manage it on their own for most kids. Younger kids just don't have have the dexterity even if thay are interested.

When My six yr old daughter expressed interest in tying flies I had her go through an apprenticeship first. Basically she got hooks, beads, whatever material I was tying the fly with; threaded bobbins. This way she became familiar with the materials and tools before she started tying. Later she learned how to put the hook in the vice and attach the thread to the hook. After a month or so of her "apprenticeship" she learned how to tie materials on the hook. Easy to tie on materials like yarn, chenille, flank feathers, fox fur.

I'm happy to say she can tie a fishable yarn body/fox fur wing streamer with some degree of skill. She still can't whip finish so I finish the fly for her. As others have mentioned it's really not about the quality of fly that the kids tie but the time spent with them that's important. And with me working 2nd shift and hardly seeing my children during the work week, this is a great way for us to spend some time together

As far as vices go I let her use my old Thompson vice. Their simple to use and set up and she was thrilled when I told her she could use it.

Good luck and have fun

I started a friends daughter at age 8 and by 12 she was tying at the club as good as many of the adults. Her best were clausers. Now a senior in high school spending more of her spare time with boys------ WWFF a rotary would not be a good vise for any beginner.

+ Reply to Thread