+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter fishing in Colorado

Default Winter fishing in Colorado

If a fellow was heading to the CO area in Feb. and wasn't looking to ski, where would be the best places to look for trout in the Winter cold?

Thanks,
    Bill O.

Normand Guest

I'll just throw out one place and that would be the Blue River in silverthorne. Maybe the Frying Pan River also.

Can be mighty cold in Feb!

The colorado guys can help out more

Quote Originally Posted by Normand
    I'll just throw out one place and that would be the Blue River in silverthorne. Maybe the Frying Pan River also.

Blue river is always open. Maybe going there tomorrow to see if I can get that Blue River Skunk smell off from last fall.
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

Blog Entries

I am always willing to take a fellow FAOL member out to the river. If you get over to the west side of the hills, look me up. There are a couple tailwaters open over here, with some fair to middlin fishing on them. Gunnison, Uncompahgre, and the Pan spring to mind...

Dennis

You're NOT going to ski? Then why the heck would you come to Colorado in the middle of blizzard after blizzard??? They happen every thursday, like clockwork (last 3 weeks, new one coming day after tomorrow).

Seriously though -- I dont' fish the big tailwaters west of denver, too far away and too crowded for me. But, the Big Thompson from Loveland to Estes Park is actually fishing very well right now. There was a midge hatch with lots of risers right after christmas. Lots of public water and access on that long stretch, too. And gorgeous!

http://www.greatwesternflyfishing.com/ in Loveland is one of our local fly shops, be sure to stop in and say hi to Don or at least check their website. And buy one of my flytying desks, feather chests or rod racks while you're there! (LOL!)

Our other local friends are Julie and Greg at Bob's Fly shop in Loveland-- http://www.bobsflytying.com/ Again, they have up to date Big T conditions on their website and are well worth a visit for a cup of coffee and a chat.

The Big T is a tailwater that fishes like a freestone. Not many big browns or rainbows -- but lots of 10-14 inchers. And Loveland is a smallish, friendly town compared to Denver, Boulder or Fort Collins.

DANBOB

My new bride and I had a blast fishing during our honeymoon on the Frying Pan River near Basalt (North of Aspen, South of Glenwood Springs, West of Eagle/Vail). That was in late January.

Taylor Creek outfitters is a great guide service. If Kyle is still there he is an awesome guide and his yellow lab Milo can spot fish for you

I would think the fishing around Durango would be good this time of year. It's pretty far south though.

Depends on where you are going to be. If you are in Denver or near the ski resorts. The Blue and the Frying Pan are good choices, but you will have a ton of ski traffic to contend with. The Big Thompson is usually my winter choice. I was also there a couple days after christmas and fish were coming up to midges. I know there are a lot of other places, too. Make sure you use small midges at least 20 or 22

Your not going anywhere mister till you finish my rod...

Speaking of which, any time frame? drop me a note when you get a minute.

I hit Gore creek, Eagle, Blue & the Pan last March...all fished well.
    thirdyearflyfisher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy Fly
    Quote Originally Posted by Normand

Blue river is always open. Maybe going there tomorrow to see if I can get that Blue River Skunk smell off from last fall.
    I did make it to the Blue. I did get my skunk smell off by one. The day was bright and sunny and a warm 40+ degrees. But first having tromped through the snow up to our waste at points we found the fish were not taking a liking to our offerings. So before departing for home as the sun was sinking slowly and the temperature falling like a rock we visited the Outlet malls and both of us were able to rid ourselves of that skunk smell.
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

+ Reply to Thread