Ladies & Gentleman,

I am at my wits end and need some help. Hopefully, someone out there can come to the rescue.

My wife is in the process of making a quilt for our local Trout Unlimited Banquet. She asked me what should be in the squares (that is the tiny squares that make up the quilt) and showed me what she was going to do. There was a very nice Pine Tree, a Canoe, and a Trout. The first problem was, she needed me to design a trout. That came out great (if I do say so myself) and we were very pleased. Then she asked for one more idea and I said a "Fly".

For the past three nights I have been working on finding, drawing, designing, you name it a fly pattern from fabric to sew onto a square. I have been very unsuccessful. Thus, my question. Anyone out there have a great fly design that could be cut from fabric (in this case felt) and attached to a square? One you may have, seen, or used on a quilt.

What I am asking for is a picture, color scheme (she is working with browns and greens, earthtones with some flash of reddish - you know), and "how too" cut the material to make a quality fly. This sounds simple to us that don't make quilts, but it isn't. The pattern has to be placed in pieces and sown on a square (like a small jig saw puzzle). It then come together to look like a fly. Since it is stitched around the edges, very fine strips of cloth make a very tough job and some can not be done.

Ask you wives, mothers, mother-in-laws, or grandparents for any suggestion. If I get nothing, the quilt will look good with three designs. A quality fly design would make the quilt great.

Thanks in advance for you help. This is way out of my field.

Coach