+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ACTIONDISC

Default ACTIONDISC

I have just come across this site www.wigglefin.com and was wondering who has used them and any reports. I want to use them on small and large lakes on this side of the pond IF they are any good .
    Thanks Brian

Dear Brian,

I'll be interested in seeing the replies to this as well. Marc Pettijean (sp) markets a similar product designed specifically for fly fishing ahead of streamers and leeches, etc. but I have never seen anyone come out in praise of them. I've never seen anyone slam them either, in fact I've never seen anyone speak about them.

Myself, I think they are designed to hook more fishermen than fish, especially the item you linked. I can do all that work with a rubber worm by hand, it's really not difficult to to do.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Brian,

I've seen similar products come and go many times.

They do what they claim, as far as imparting 'action' to the lures/flies tied behind them.

The real question is whether or not that 'action' is desirable.

Very few living things move like that in their normal habits. Things tend to glide or move gracefully through the water.

For the bass fisherman that uses spinning or casting gear, these would not be too popular. Soft plastics are supposed to be more subtle in their motions. If you want more action, there are crankbaits that will give you everyting from a wide slow side to side to a tight fast wiggle, with or without rattles from subtle to loud.

In any vent, if they are inexpensive and you want a more obvious 'wiggle' to your flies, try it and let us know how it goes?

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Avalon They are/might be to hook fisherman
    On this side of the pond we have 2 types of fly those to catch fish and those to catch fishermen .
    Cheers Brian

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fly-tying-eyes/650200.aspx
    Here's another option more specifically for flies.

I have not used wiggle disks on flies though I have used fly rod Flatfish for, let's say, a long time. As you might suspect the extra resistance and bulk of the bill or wiggle disk is best countered by beafing up the rod. It is a chore to pull the Flatfish free of the water, but one is compensated by the excellent way it loads the rod for the backcast.

Though I prefer to use simple flies, I will tie on whatever it takes.
    Bear742

I have both brands for a long time. Never interested enough to put one on. Probably should, just don't fish much wet stuff.

A heavy bead head will do the smae thing and its alot cheaper.

jed

I think varying weight by amount & location on the hook, plus varying retrieve can produce similar results.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

It seems that no matter what or how I say anything, guys get ***** off by it. I have the above mentioned items. I know Marc. I was asked to 'fiels-test' the other ones. I have watched the demo's in tanks of water. I have played with them there. They are nothing like putting on a bit of lead. No way! Wrong. 180 degrees off the mark. Why would anyone, who has not seen, used, or been exposed to them even offer an opinion? Then NEW GUYS read this stuff! Glad I am not a sponsor anywhere trying to sell them,,, or make it possible for any angler to catch more fish.

JC,

I'm right there with you.

I don't use the things, but they do add movement as advertised.

No matter how you add or where you add 'weight' to a fly, it won't move in any way close to what adding an excentric braking force like these things will do.

AND, regardless of how you manipulate the fly, the rod, or the line, you can't get a fly to do what these things do without a similar device.

They must not teach physical sciences anymore.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread