+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinning "Hard as Hull" head cement

Use a bottle neck stretcher of course.

I believe Flex Coat Head Cement comes in a wide mouth bottle that has a lid for it that has a built-in bodkin for applying the head cement. BTW, the lid from the wide mouth bottle that ketchup comes in, you know the one that has the lid that is plastic and you just flip the top open and squeeze the bottle and when finished flip the top closed, will fit the Flex Coat head cement bottle and this will give you a small hole to insert the bodkin through to use the cement and then just flip the top closed. I use Sally Hanson mostly, but, will pour it into the Flex Coat bottle and use the flip-top lid on it. That sure beats unscrewing the lid on SH and then putting it back on. The flip-top can be opened and closed with one hand. The mouth on Flex Coat Head Cement is large enough to insert marbles, ball bearings, etc., if that is what you want to do. The bottle can be purchased full of head cement and a metal lid or a plastic lid with a built-in bodkin for applying the head cement. It can also be purchased as an empty bottle with either lid to put the head cement you prefer in it.

Just reporting my findings and not making any recommendations.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Northwoods,

I think Hard as Hull is made by Backcountry Labs. It should say on the bottle. If you look in Blacks guide (which is on the Field and Stream web site) they give this entry:

Backcountry Laboratories
    1441 W. Newport Center Dr.
    Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    Tel: 954-480-9202
    Fax: 954-480-9220
    backcountry@shadow.net

If you come down to da Twin Cities in April for the Great Waters Fly Fishing show they should give you a printed copy of the Black's Guide which lists all the companies that manufacture fly fishing products.

BTW, I found Hard as Hull in some online fly shops and it says you never need to thin it. What's a guy supposed to do anyway?

Hard As Hull is an acrylic polymer. To find out what to use to thin it I would think the best thing to to do is go to your local hardware store and ask what to use or contact the manufacture.

Thats what I would do.

+ Reply to Thread