+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinning "Hard as Hull" head cement

Default Thinning "Hard as Hull" head cement

My Hard as Hull head cement is getting very thick and isn't as easy to use as used to be.

Any suggestions for a thinning solvent that i can use? How about nail polish remover? I can "borrow" some from my wife.

Thanks,

Northwoods
    "Where winter has pasted us by"

Yes I think an acetone(nail polish remover) will thin hard as nails. But what I do is use the thicker hard as nails as a clear coat for head and go spend another dollar or less at the local walmart for a new bottle.
    Just my two cent worth,
    Ghost.

I think Hard as Hull is a Loon product isn't it, Northwood?....it may not use the same solvent as Hard As Nails....hence the question?????

If acetone is the solvent I would stay away from the removers and use pure acetone....don't most of our wives nail polish removers have lots of additives ...like scents .....

sorry miss read your post. But one thing all my loon product are water based, so what does the label say. If it state it a water based product then use water if it smells then acetone.
    Ghost.

I read the label, no mention of water. Smelling it it reminds me of the model airplane glue we used as kids. Must be solvent based.

Northwoods

Default Thinning Hard as Hull

Northwoods, I would try some lacquer thinner, it seems to work for me on all the head cements. I f this Loon product is an epoxy, then epoxy thinner is the way to go.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Default Thinner for Hard as Hull

If the product smells like old model airplane glue, then the proper thinner would be toluene (aka toluol) or, preferably, xylene (aka xylol). You might get away with methyl ethyl ketone (aka MEK) or lacquer thinner. Or you might get a mess. It's hard to tell without trying.

But don't buy a $5 can of solvent just to thin a $1 bottle of head cement. It's cheaper and safer just to buy a new bottle of head cement.

And don't use nail polish remover as a thinner. The nail polish remover contains acetone, but also water and oily additives. The water and additives will do some nasty things to your head cement!

Tom

Yes. Don't confuse a thinner with a remover or cleaner. Thinners thin; removers destroy; cleaners take off something and leave the rest in tact.

Just because it is a guy thing, I usually have 4 or more thinners/removers/cleaners around the workbench:

Laquer Thinner which is the classic base for a lot of hobby paints and nail polish. Use carefully; it can be a destroyer.

Mineral Spirits which appears on a lot of labels and also removes gooy deposites left by labels.

Rubbing alcohol which is frequently the safest cleaner. For cleaning try this one first.

Charcoal Lighter and Lighter Fluid which, though not designated for those uses, really do the trick sometimes. Charcoal Starter works for thinning oil based paints too. Don't use Ronsinol for that.

No Acetone yet.

If the stuff you have has gone bad anyway, I would experiment on samples starting with laquer thinner and ending when the product is the right consistency or has curdled into a hopeless gooy mess. BTW do this outside or in a well ventilated, non-smoking area.

Don't worry about the cost of these products. They are workshop staples. If your workbench does not have 4 or 5 of these products within reach, it is a called a kitchen counter. (Note Well: Kitchen counters are clear and ready for the next project; workbenches are littered with stuff left over from the last project just in case it is needed for the next project.)

BTW, the other day, in the paint section at ACE, I was thinking about buying some "Pure Denatured Alcohol" but could not reconcile the oxymoron. Does anyone know what is in the stuff?
    Bear742

Northwoods,

While surfing through the "Tying Tips" section on FAOL, I came across this tip that may be useful in the future with your next new bottle of head cement. It stated that as you use head cement and the amount in the bottle goes down, it allows more air into the bottle which then causes the head cement to start evaporatiing which then causes it to get thicker and unuseable. The tip was to add marbles to the bottle of head cement which will raise the liquid up to the neck of the bottle which will stop the evaporation process. Keep adding marbles until you have used up the head cement. I have not tried this tip, but, it does make sense.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

how ya gonna get marbles into a bottle of head cement?

+ Reply to Thread