+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Galvan Torque Reels -- Opinions

Default Galvan Torque Reels -- Opinions

I am considering a Galvan Torque Reel for my 8 wt. rod. Probably a T6 rather than the T8 just because it is smaller. It looks and feels nice. Not too heavy. Drag looks ok. I was wondering what other's have to say about these reels -- is the drag smooth when in use and cranked down? Does it have a tendency to spool?

I am replacing an old Scientific Anglers System 2 that works but the drag ain't much to talk about. Had trouble with it when steelhead fishing and think there is better.

I am also considering a Nautilus Feather Weight Plus.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I have a Galvan Open Back, it's a great reel. If the drag system is the same or similar (and quite possibly even if it is not) then I imagine that the torque will be a great reel for you.

I haven't tried the Torque, but I have never found a Galvan with a drag that wasn't smooth, even when cranked down tight.

Larry Compton

I have the Torque T4 on my 5 wt. I have to agree with the posts above.. a silky smooth drag for light tippets, and enough braking power to slow down those big rainbows on the "MO"

I don't have any experience with the Torque, but I do have a Galvan Standard on a 5 weight. Quite simply, it is my favorite reel. The drag is extremely smooth (not that it gets used all that much on the fish that I catch The reel is very well made, very close tolerances, and besides all that, it's green (which is my favorite color) so I don't think you can really beat that. If the Torque performs anything at all like the Standard (and I'm sure it probably performs even better) you'll be quite happy. I don't know anything about their customer service - never had any problems with mine. Hope this helps at least a little.

-Darryl
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

The Torque has a different (better) drag system than the Open Back. I have (and love) a couple Open Backs. I know there's a difference only because Saturday afternoon, the guy working at the Motherlode Fly Shop in Sonora, CA was showing me the difference. The Torque uses the same drag as another Galvin but I forget it's name just now.

The difference appeared to be that the Torque's drag works on a slightly larger diameter surface which should give it better leverage. (that's the short summary/paraphrase of what he explained).

Being a Galvin, I'm sure it's good stuff.

The Rush by Galvan has the same drag as the Torque.

Isn't there a big weight difference between the Galvan and the Nautilus Featherweight?

+ Reply to Thread