+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Book vs Video/DVD

Default Book vs Video/DVD

There's a thread on an LL Bean book that has gotten off onto book recommendations and rather than highjack....here's my question.

If you had to pick one which would it be...book or video or DVD...for a new person learning to tie?

I know ...take lessons.. but this would be for their personal library.

I say Video or DVD...what say you...It is nice to have a hard copy in front of you but to start out to learn the moves, etc........

I have both being a noob. I like the book for reference, but the DVD is good to see the actual movement of applying the different materials. In a book you jump from step to step unless it has a gazillion pictures for one fly.

So, if you can afford it. I say both. If i had to pick one I guess the DVD, but it would be a pain to find things you forgot.

I have several tying books, VHS and DVDs. I have to say I like the flexibility that DVDs give you. It's like having a live teacher give me private lessons. Just think, I can have private lessons by the likes of Al Beatty, AK Best, Skip Morris and they don't even have to leave their homes.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I guess I'm in the minority because if the book has decent illustrations or photos, I'd rather have it then a dvd or video. I can have it right at my fingertips to view and reference. Also, I can take it anywhere to read at anytime. A book cannot get scratched. I don't have to concern myself with dropping it. I don't need something to see it. The visualization won't get ruined with age. Besides, the books look good on a shelf.

H.

Now after I have gotten the basics down, I would say book, but when you are just beginning a video is great because you are able to pick up on little tips and motions that are never talked about because you are watching every move, where in a book there are only still pictures so these are impossible to pick up.

Normand Guest

I'd say both. Books to build a pattern library and videos for the visual demonstration of tying techniques.

Perhaps not the main reason to buy a book but you may also consider
    many books can increase in value over the years if kept in good shape especially if they are signed. To be honest I rarely read books that are "How To" although if the author is at a show I can not resist buying them. I prefer the Lyons, McGuane, Babb, Gierach, Dennis type literature. I also have DVDs mainly because I like seeing these guys and hearing them speak. Many of them are friends from the shows. Some I buy for the history of it like the Mary Dette DVD that the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild just put out at the Guild meeting this past December and will have at the Mass and NJ shows.

Most of all, I like audio books. I can listen to them while I tie, while I drive to a show or a fishing destination, or while doing yard work around the house. I buy them even though I have the actual book.. I need more shelving!

Blog Entries

There is a third alternative. It is your computer. You can find umpteen dozen illustrations of flies and how to tie them on the web. When I am tying something new I like to make it my wallpaper full screen for easy reference. there it is right in front of me larger than life.
    To answer your question, If I had to choose between a book or DVD I'd take the video.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

+ Reply to Thread