+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More reel questions

Default More reel questions

ok...earlier this week I posted questions about a new fly reel for my 4wr rod. I had settled on a 1492 Medalist though reading through the description I notice this rod is only right hand retrieve....Granted I won't be using the retrieve much except to bring in line at the end of the day I reel prefer to use my left hand to retrieve...feels more natural.

So my question is this..Does it really matter? SInce the reel is a click and pawl drag does it matter which way I wind the line on? If that is the case I would get the 1492 and use it backwards to obtain a left hand retrive.

Mike

Mike, I did a quick check of the 1492 on the manufacturers web site http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/products ... .php?p=33. Pflueger says the 1492 can be set up for either right or left hand retrieve. My 1494 1/2 reels are interchangable.

Since it's a non-adjustable click drag it wouldn't matter. The line guard can't be switched over to LHW however. I found a nice close up picture which makes it obvious why.
    www.abu-mania.com/9-pflueger1492.jpg

Hello coltranem, do you mind if I post something here about another model of Pflueger fly reel someone gave to me? Din't want to just jump in the middle of your post.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Mike,

YES, it matters.

The smallest (I think) of the Medalist reels won't convert from rigth to left, they are built backwards for left handed fly fishermen who reel with their right hands.

The 'line guard' will be on the wrong end if you just flip it over, and without it your line can become damaged.

There are lots of fly reels out there in the same price range. If you are a right handed fly fisheman, you want a reel that works correctly for you.

Eventually, Pflueger will get the message and adjust/change the reels so all of us can use them...maybe.

Good luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Thanks for the responses everyone...Montana Moose jump right in

Buddy...the bass fishing industry is the same way...most baitcasting reels are set up to retrieve with the right hand. I would rather keep my rod in the right hand since it is my dominant hand. Luckily a few manufacturers make reels that go both ways.

Thank you coltranem, I have a Pflueger 1495 DA, it says 'Made In USA'on the frame but it doesn't say Akron anywhere on the frame or spool. It says MEDALIST, Pflueger and MADE IN USA on the spool release and there are three rivets around the spool release.

It's set up for right hand retrieve and has the drag adjusting knob facing front left when the reel is mounted on a fly rod. Can't think of anything I've left out in the description, but please ask if I have.

What I'd like to know is are these convertible and also about when they were made. Also, if they are higher or lower in value then my Pflueger 1495 that I know isn't convertible, is set up for right hand retrieve, nor does it say Akron anywhere and the only place it says MADE IN USA is on the spool release. It does say PATENTED on the frame and NO.1495 along with DIAMOLITE LINE GUARD. Lastly, there are 6 rivets around the spool release.

Any help with these questions would be appreciated !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Mike;
    With the help of the tool shop next door I transfered the line guard screw holes and made mine and LHR.

I think Jack's post is further proof that Medalists take well to tinkering.

+ Reply to Thread