+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Kayak???

Default Orvis Kayak???

I got my new Orvis catalog yesterday and noticed they had a kayak in it. It seems pretty nice and you are able to stand in it. Has anybody had any experiance with these?

Default just saw it

I got my catalog yesterday and just saw the kayak today. This is the first time I've seen this particular model, and I keep a pretty close eye on whats available in the kayak world. I'm sure this is something new. It looks good but is pricey.

Hey Alan, I haven't seen that kayak but I'm in the market for one and I'll check it out when I get my catalog. I've been looking at Oldtown brand and they've got all kinds of kayaks and ther prices seem pretty reasonable though I really wouldn't know the difference. Let me know if you wind up getting one..even if not the 'stand up' model.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Hey George.... I am not really in the market for one but if I was I would definatly take a look at that one. It looks very stable and I like the idea you can stand up.

Thanks Alan, I'll check it out !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

i saw that too. does look atable but it also looks like it would not be good in anything above class 2 water. always a trade off.

What do you call someone who fishes standing in a kayak?

Answer: Wet

I would only do so with outriggers which are available in many catalogues as add ons to existing kayaks.

jed

But gee, wouldn't that be about the same as training wheels on a Harley? :))

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Here is a suggestion;

Try it before you buy it!

I have an old town 14 footer, that can be used as a double or single yak, very large cock pit, great for tranporting, and very , very stable! I can actually stand up and cast from it, but I would not suggest it.

The price of the old town is much cheaper the the Orvis.

Go to a store and try a couple of them out, or rent one or two/bug buddies, but try before you buy!!! Not all yaks are created equally in stability, and comfort for a days outting, Oh ya, ask if it floats when filled with water, some do, and some don't, might make a difference in you security.

Take care,
    chris

Hey folks, here's the skinny on that Kayak...

Orvis must be smoking something. I have that exact boat, the Native Ultimate 12 (www.nativewatercraft.net). It's awesome, and yes, you can stand in it pretty easily. It's designed for fishing, so it doesn't kayak as well as a true kayak, but it's pretty fast and very manuverable. It's the most stabel personal watercraft I have been in, and the seat has no competition in the comfort category.

Anyway, I can't believe the Orvis price - Why would anyone pay $1600 for a boat that they can buy at a paddle shop for $775? I paid $750 for mine. Now, it didn't come completely rigged, but you can buy the two scotty rod holders for $25 a piece, and a decent paddle is less than $200. Knowing this, I can't believe that the two spray skirts make up the additional $550...

Anyway, it's a fantastic boat, and a good value at $775. Save that extra $825 and get a new rod and reel to go with it.

Regards,
    Starfish

+ Reply to Thread