+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Try These For Flies?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer
    I bought some for flyfishing but never used them. It seemed to me that the trout would spot them as phoney so I never used them. They did come in handy and looked really trick in My radio controlled model Yachts.
    Spot it as phony? More than the hook hanging there?

We don't want the trout to get suspicious!
    I guess you could wrap a little dubbing around the snap.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Why not?

Thirty years ago I would have scoffed at the idea of using any type of leader to fly connector. These days I and just about everyone I fish Stripers with use these, or something similar.

When non-leader wary fish are busting bait, the bite can often turn off just as fast as it started. These make it possible to quickly ( in seconds ) change out a torn up fly or one with a badly dinged hooked and get back into the game.

One thing I've learned with wire connectors and streamers, where possible rig them with the wire stub, facing up. On occasion if the fly becomes snagged, the wire stub end ( opening ) will get compressed against or hung up on the object as well, the force of trying to free the fly from a distance can bend or pop open the wire clasp, resulting in a lost fly. Again, we're not talking light tippets here.

With age, knots and the tying thereof, has become a sport unto itself.

Best, Dave

Pete ,
    When you get sick of them dont throw them away, trust me ,you will get sick of them. Save them for bass (or some other such rough fish) fishing. I've
    used them before and they do work well on larger hooks that arent really trying to " be somthing" other than a lure.Like a sna juan worm is trying to be a little bug ,catch my drift. You aint going to put one of those lil guys on a #20 gnat and thats for sure.
    Perch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer
    I bought some for flyfishing but never used them. It seemed to me that the trout would spot them as phoney so I never used them. They did come in handy and looked really trick in My radio controlled model Yachts.
    Spot it as phony? More than the hook hanging there?
    Gramps I read somewhere, don't ask me where, but it said that the hook shape resembles a scud or shrimp configuration and the article speculated that it actually caused the fish to think of the hook shape as a food source.
    I should have mentioned that I use Mostly nymphs in size #18 - #22 hooks a lot and it look quite big on one of them.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I have used these, still have some they will not work with smaller flies 16's down. I also have knot tying problems...Nerve Damage from a "Huey" dropping on me head in 71 at a "Hot" LZ. Oh Yeah they work fine with drys in sz. 14+.
    Bill

I read that some guys never go smaller than a #16. I can live with that if it works for me.

I did get small-med-large. I know the large will come in handy with my spin setup. I use mostly bubble-fly with my spin rod. Changing flies fast will be good with that too.

Anyway, they were cheap, and it's no big deal if they don't work.

Gnu Bee.......How do you explain spinners? Nothing real looks like them in the water. Yet, trout hit them hard. Same with streamers. I find it hard to believe a trout would be bothered by that little clip. Now that I think of it. I've seen trout strike a swivel.

I use them and love them. I am fishing warmwater, so picky trout aren't really an issue. I also fish primarily wet, so weight isn't an issue. Just helps get the fly down faster. I also tend to be a bit of an ADD fisherman, changing flies often, so this helps. When I do fish dry, I snip the snaps off and tie directly - I have noticed an issue, even on size 10-12, with the weight out front. I have not really had any trouble with excessive garbage snagging on it - no more than would catch on the hook itself. Not a real traditional view, but it works well for me.

I use a different brand that has a little lighter gauge wire, but use them on all of my wet flies and conventional panfish gear for both summer and ice fishing.

I used them years ago when I started fly fishing and was unskilled at knot tying. As my knot tying skills improved I found them to be less useful.

I fish primarily for trout, and the dominate food source on the local water is small mayflies. Most species are in the size 16-20 range. That little clip is almost half as big as the fly! It definatly had a negetive effect on the action and floating posture. My catch rate when way up when I stopped using them.

If you are fishing larger streamers or bigger bugs then they might be useful. In my opinion nothing beats a well tied knot. I have seen guides that can tie on a new fly and tippet faster than I can sort through my vest pockets and pull out a fresh bug. The trick is to keep well practiced. When I feel a little rusty I spend some time practicing my knots while watching TV. I sit on the couch and tie dozens of the same knot, starting with a large hook and tippet, working my way down to the light stuff. Eventually it becomes a muscle memory and you can whip one out under the most adverse streamside conditions. Besides, it's a great use for that old spool of tippet that you no longer trust.

You might feel a bit different with my eyesight.

+ Reply to Thread