+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning for new ...

Default Learning for new ...

Extremely new to this addicting way to fish! I live here in Northern VA about 30 mins east of the Shenandoah Mountains. I absolutely love it up there and it is pretty much my second home. Now that I am into fly fishing, I might just pitch a tent and live there.

I have been very lucky to finding this site because once I did I have been on it almost everyday soaking my brain with all this rich knowledge.

With that said: If there is one piece of advice to give an enthusiast of Fly fishing...What would that be??

I love this site and thank you all for being so kind and
    willing to help people like myself..

flyracer77
    I've got it bad, REAL BAD

Welcome to the site. Hope you stay and enjoy it. My one piece of advice would be to not worry about cartching fish but rather concern yourself with learning technique and having fun. If you have fun you'll stick with it and the catching of fish will come along.

The longer I fish the more I know how much I don't know.

Good luck with your journey.

jed

Default Welcome

Welcome to the felowship of FAOL and a greater salutation towards the addiction of fly fishing.

That being said, my best move towards catching the big one was shadowing an excellent mentour.

Welcome flyracer, you've found the best site of it's kind in all of net.

My best advice would be to get a good wading staff and learn how to wade properly so that you don't get hurt while persuing this wonderful sport of ours. I hope you follow this advice.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Flyracer,

This is a great place to soak up knowledge about flyfishing. It certainly shortens the learning curve by several years. Remember that this process doesn't have to be passive; if you have questions be sure to ask. There are lots of generous folks here who are always willing to lend a hand. Welcome to the group!

My major piece of advice would be something that I have to remind myself about often. Don't wade where you should be fishing. Fish first, wade later!
    8T

Read about what to do but use common sense when fishing. Sometimes doing what YOU think will work........works.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Flyracer - the biggest advice I can give is don't get caught up in the "brand name" part of flyfishing. You don't need a $600 fly rod and reel, you don't need to learn the latin names of all of your flies, and you don't need $300 waders -- especially around here (I'm in Loudoun County, so we must be sharing some of the same waters!)

I grew up fly fishing in Central Virginia - warm water fishing on the James River or local ponds and learning to trout fish on the Moormans, Rapidan, Conway, St. Mary's, the Staunton, Devil's Ditch and dozens of "nameless" streams you could hop across along the Skyline drive / Blue Ridge Parkway.

If you haven't discovered Harry Murray's shop over in the valley, it's worth a trip.
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

Flyracer must have pitched a tent :))

Thank all of you guys for the advice. Montana Moose..If I wasn't getting married in April I would of gone ahead and pitched the tent..I figured once a yr into the marriage I could pitch it as a second home..hahaha
    Vultere6..You in Leesburg?Great county to live in. One of the fastest growing counties in the nation!!

Thanks Guys!!
    I've got it bad, REAL BAD

flyracer77, I just meant it like, 'you hadn't responded for a long time' and you must be off fly fishing somewhere. Oh yeah, at least once a year fellow fly fisher !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread