+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning for new ...

Yeah, Leesburg is home. My most frequent trips are to the Potomac at Point of Rocks, Goose Creek, or the Shenandoah at Rt. 7 or over at Charles Town or Harper's Ferry.
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

No offense taken Moose. I thought it was pretty funny.Just didn't want you to think that I had taken offense to it!
    I've got it bad, REAL BAD

No problem flyracer77, I posted the, 'flyracer must have' post then read it a while later and it occured to me it might have been taken the differently than I meant it, so I just thought I'd clarify a little ! Think the wife will take up fly fishing?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Flyracer77,

Welcome to the group, I think you'll find the collective knowledge of the members here to be very extensive, and folks are very generous with their advice to any questions you might have. Check in often, and feel free to ask away--- we all benefit from the answers to each other's questions.

As far as getting started in Fly Fishing, my best advice is to seek out a local organization or club in your area--- perhaps a local Trout Unlimited chapter for example. I'm sure your local fly shop will have some suggestions and contacts.

In addition to supporting conservation efforts which will help get you into heaven, most groups are welcoming to new comers, and offer both formal and informal programs like casting clinics, fly tying classes, and fly fishing trips which can really help accelerate your learning curve. Topics at meetings may also include info on fishing local waters, fishing techniques, fish behavior etc. which can also help a great deal. As your knowledge of fly fishing grows it generally conspires to keep you out of heaven as you increasingly shirk your other responsibilities, so your involvement in conservation activities become increasingly important.

But perhaps the greatest benefit of checking out a local group is the ability to tap into the experience and fellowship of others. If my experience is any indication, you'll find some folks that willl be generous with their knowledge and become very good friends in and out of the water.

Good luck and best regards,

Mark

Welcome to the BB Flyracer!
    Best Advice is DON'T get married! Just Kidding!
    In flyfishing YOU are in charge of your learning.
    Go to your local fly shop and form a relationship.
    1. Look at expert advice on FAOL about starter rods and reels. If you have lots of money then get a mid range outfit.
    2. Spend as much time fishing as possible. Be a good observer.
    3. Pick up bits of info from experienced fishermen.
    4. Go to a Pond and practice casting.
    Have Fun!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

Flyracer77, I would like to add a suggestion about practicing casting. Practice with a cheap, as in expendable, leader and tippet, but no hook. Wear eye protection.

Ed

While I agree with just about everything that has already been said, the one thing that continues to be of most direct benefit to me as a fly angler is simple. Im surprised only one person mentioned it earlier. Go fishing. No amount of reading, dvd's, mentorship, cast practice or anything else has helped me more than what I learn in a single day on the water. There are things that just can't be explained when it comes to fly fishing. You have to experience it time and time again to get ahold of that "x-factor." I can't even tell you if it is the same for everybody, but you can tell a well-seasoned angler from the minute he/she gets out of the car. It is almost like a sixth-sense that comes the more you do it. So fish, fish and fish. As a newly-wed myself, (2yrs) it isn't as easy as it could be:family has to come first. But a great justification I use to my wife is, "If I don't become a master fly-fisherman, how can I teach my kids to do it?" Good luck!
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by EdD
    Flyracer77, I would like to add a suggestion about practicing casting. Practice with a cheap, as in expendable, leader and tippet, but no hook. Wear eye protection.

Ed
    In your yard, sure no hook, but if in a pond like DShock mentioned, add a fly, catch some bluegill or bass. Then you can "practice" setting the hook too.

Flyracer,
    PINCH down your BARBS, it will save you a trip to the Emergency Room,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread