As one of my Christmas presents this year my wife has given me a fly fishing trip. We can go anywhere in the USA or Canada. My first thought was of course to go 'out west'. But then I started thinking about the Northeast (Roscoe, NY area). The trip will be for a week or about 8 days total. We can drive or fly. I would like to use a guide for a few days and then have some time to explore on my own wherever we are. I would like to be near enough to have access to different rivers/streams. The wife will probably fish with me some of the time but not all. My experience of the last four years has been mostly tailwater fisheries...Chattahoochee......Toccoa.... and the occassional trip to the Chattooga River for wild Browns. All of these have been in Georgia. I have fished down in the Keys for Bonefish and Tarpon. And, I have fished on warmwater lakes in Georgia and South Carolina for Gills and Bass...(sometimes very near our own Jim Hatch). But my favorite trips so far have been on small streams and wadable expanses of water. I sometimes think that I enjoy the scenery as much as the fish.
So with this in mind, does anyone have any thought starters, suggestions, guide friends, location or lodging suggestions? Or just in general if you were choosing, would you go 'out west' or 'up north', and why?
I know it's a rather broad question but any input will be appreciated. I just want to be able to consider as much input as possible.
Thanks
Dale