+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Customer Service

Default Customer Service

Actually, this isn't necessarily about a fly fishing shop, catalog service department, web site or even manufacturer. It's simply about 'customer service'.

I just came back from a store. The type of store and what I bought doesn't matter. As I was at the counter paying, it was I who said "thank you". Then as I walked out I thought to myself, 'that was stupid. Shouldn't it be the cashier thanking me for my business?' I've always thought that, coming at the right time from the right person, the two most rewarding words that can be strung together were "Thank you". The opposite is true as well. The absence of that acknowledgement is resentment.

H.

Default Re: Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrickson
    Actually, this isn't necessarily about a fly fishing shop, catalog service department, web site or even manufacturer. It's simply about 'customer service'.

I just came back from a store. The type of store and what I bought doesn't matter. As I was at the counter paying, it was I who said "thank you". Then as I walked out I thought to myself, 'that was stupid. Shouldn't it be the cashier thanking me for my business?' I've always thought that, coming at the right time from the right person, the two most rewarding words that can be strung together were "Thank you". The opposite is true as well. The absence of that acknowledgment is resentment.

H.
    H the other two can be You're Welcome [maybe that's three]

I don't know if I was getting depressed or if I just thought the world was going to h--- in a hand basket...but I got to thinking that people I was taking care of were not actually saying ..Thank You...so I decided every time someone said T Y I would be sure and say You're Welcome....you know what... I ended up saying You're Welcome almost 100% of the time....it's was obvious who at fault

It comes from the TOP. Your the BOSS, you demand your employees say thanks for shopping here!
    It's not like the good old days, they seem bored because all they do is SCAN and beep all day, but that's OK because it gets me out the door faster.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I think service is all over the board - even with the same company. Seems like you can get both the good and bad at the same store and I suppose clerks are the same as you and I - we have good and bad days.

In my life experience I have found that those who expect good service are rewarded with same much more often than those who demand it. I've said this before, I DEMAND great service only from my surgeon, all else I can live with. In the context of fly shop or outfitter, I expect a mutually agreeable common sense approach to a transaction and NOTHING more.

Mark

I agree Marco, but rudeness does not cut it. On a not long ago trip to Kmart I handed the clerk cash for payment. She slammed the change on the counter and said nothing. I told her I did not appreciate that behavior and walked out. Needless to say I rarely shop at Kmart. The opposite is Dan Bailey. Twice I have mailed a check with my order on MOnday and received the order on Friday.

I think the worst possible customer service is simply to ignore a customer's query. In the past week I have received three promises to contact me within twenty-four hours from Office Depot but no contact. Right now I would walk a couple of miles to avoid buying from them again. If you can't do anything about a problem at least acknowledge that fact and apologize for it.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I, too, believe the overall customer service one receives is a direct reflection of the management style of the establishment.

However, it's not easy teaching simple manners to adults.

I recently made a purchase at a large store. At the time, there was nobody else in line. I greeted the cashier with a smile and "good morning" and got nothing in return. She, a woman in her fifties, continued to occupy herself in conversation with a coworker throughout the transaction. The only thing she said to me was the total amount. When she finished slapping my change in my hand (hint: count it back to the customer) and failed to say anything, I asked her if she was a manager. These simple words made her turn on a dime. She replied she wasn't but suddenly became very, very friendly and artificially concerned about my shopping experience. What a joke!

+ Reply to Thread