+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rod wt for Bluegill and Crappie

i grab one of my three weights and that has always sufficed. I often go with my one weight. What a blast that is! A crappie or bluegill on a six or seven weight does not sound like much fun to me, but I have not tried it.

Thanks for all of your suggestions everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders
    Alan,
    As far as fly size goes, I routinely fish in wind both from shore and boats. A 3 wt. will cast quite well with unweighted flies up to around 1/0 (deer hair and foam popper/sliders/frogs) and weighted 'buggers and such to size 4. For the fish you mentioned, you won't need flies this big.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    With all due respect, I think throwing a 1/0 popper and #4 weighted bugger on a 3wt is too much fly for too small of a rod.

I fish my 3wt for gills if the wind is down, but my go to rod is my 8' 5wt. And no I do not throw big bugs on that rod either.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Dave,

I'll have to disagree with you. I do it all the time, and I'm not a particularly accomplished fly caster.

No disrespect, of course, we just have a different opinion on this issue.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I have never tried casting 1/0 poppers with my 3wt but for me I know I can't cast #4 buggers with it. I think for the bigger flys I am going to use my 5wt. I just ordered a new sinking line for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders
    Dave,

I'll have to disagree with you. I do it all the time, and I'm not a particularly accomplished fly caster.

No disrespect, of course, we just have a different opinion on this issue.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    And how long of a leader and what size tippet are you throwing?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

fish4trout;

Go to www.byrdultrafly.com and read "ultralighting" first, then "technical" and finally, "newest articles".

Think outside of the box....experiment!

That is a great article Jim. I dont think that 000wt would work to well with a bugger though but I bet it is a ton of fun with little poppers though.

Alan,

You don't have to do like I did and print-out each and every topic, punch them and put them into a 3-ring binder so I have an exhaustive study and manual on ultralighting; but, read the different topics on line choice, reels, wind, etc. Then, practice.

If you stick with the "party line" like I did with "pluggin' & spinnin'" for 25 years and fly fishing exclusively for the last 8, you'll miss a lot of fun. The infamous "9' 6wt. syndrome".

Know what I've caught tons of big bluegill, crappie, yellow perch (fun fish!), pickerel and LMB up to 4lbs. on the past two seasons? A Cabela's Stowaway5 8 1/2' 3wt. custom made by dropping the butt section which measures out to 6' 10" of pure fun! And, like Buddy, I can toss the poppers and streamers where they need to be from the bank or my jon boat.

Wind! Not a problem. I studied Joan's tapes, Lefty's tapes, Mel's tapes and Doug's tapes then practice almost daily in the yard, not 4-5 times a season when I go fishing!!!!!

Discovery is not limited to the channel on cable TV....

Quote Originally Posted by fish4trout
    I think for the bigger flys I am going to use my 5wt. I just ordered a new sinking line for it.
    Alan,

I got a spare quick change reel spool for my sinking line and I keep it in my fanny/belly pack for switching lines quickly when I want to. I am glad I did because now I can cover more water at deeper depth when needed.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

+ Reply to Thread