Hello all,

Wow, it's been quite a while since I've posted, but this topic caught my interest. I also like anywhere from 2wt rods to 4wt for panfish. I also like to overline them for the up close fishing that I do, so I use a WF4 line on my "2wt" rod and a WF6 on my "4wt" rod. Some might ask why and it's simply because I prefer how the rods load with the heavier lines. This enables me to cast size 4-10 flies very easily with any rod in my arsenal and still get to feel the fish show off. One might also say that this defeats the purpose of buying a light rod if I am just going to put a heavier line on it and I say......so be it. It works for me.

I also fish a few glass rods in the 5-6 wt range and they are slowly becoming my goto rods for the sweet feel that they exhibit while fighting a fish. I have a Fenglass 6'5wt that I fish with a 4wt line and it is super! I also fish a few 6' custom e-glass rods built on spinning blanks that are super fun fished with 5 and 6wt lines. The cool thing about glass is that it will bend into a full C with a decent bluegill on the line, yet a 6wt glass rod can throw some decent sized flies as well.

I build my rods and don't even pay attention to the line rating on the blanks anymore. I find a line that loads the rod to my liking and fish away. For panfish, this would be 4-6wt lines on what most people call 2-4wt rods.

To each his own and it's all good fun!

Lou