+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catch and Release

Default Catch and Release

Is CnR a management tool to help preserve certain stocks of fish while still giving the public a recreational opportunity?
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Default Yes and more

Sometimes C&R sections on rivers are designed to provide areas where the fish have a chance to grow larger and perhaps smarter.

A little more...............

In the PNW there are a fair number of endangered stocks of salmon and steelhead yet we are allowed to fish for some of these stocks during what is billed as Catch and Release seasons. Are the fish and game agencies responsible for these fish just giving the public a fishing opportunity while still protecting the fish? Or, are they doing this to sell more fishing licenses? Or?
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Blog Entries

There is a lake near here that was made a C&R only lake. The reason is that it is spring fed and has virtually no winter kill. Because the trout survive the winter they grow quite large. You can go there and catch rainbows up to 6 pounds with fair sucess.
    In nearby lakes of the same size and altitude it is all put and take because the winter kills are nearly 100%
    C&R in winterkill lakes makes no sense to me.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Slot limits may do better than true catch and release.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff
    Slot limits may do better than true catch and release.
    This is what the Kenai river in Alaska has, any rainbow or dolly under 16 is fair game 1 per day. Their isnt many under 16inches

Slot limits are working fine for sturgeon. SL's are a management tool, C&R is a personal decision and it also applies as a rule, sometimes for only part of the year.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

C&R would seem to be an effective tool for confined resident populations of fish. I DO think we would be hard pressed to change an anadromous fishery's population with a string and a wad of feathers, a chunk of plastic, or a gob of guts though.....or at least one would have to be FAR more effective that I at doing it.
    ....lee s.

Quote Originally Posted by lee s
    C&R would seem to be an effective tool for confined resident populations of fish. I DO think we would be hard pressed to change an anadromous fishery's population with a string and a wad of feathers, a chunk of plastic, or a gob of guts though.....or at least one would have to be FAR more effective that I at doing it.
    ....lee s.
    there are those that will argue that any population of fish that cannot support a harvest fishery should not be fished at all.

+ Reply to Thread