+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hook and Hackle Forecast Rod Building Kit Questions....

Default Hook and Hackle Forecast Rod Building Kit Questions....

Hi everyone, I've decided that I want to take a stab at building my own fly rod. After doing a little research it seems that people really like the hook and hackle blanks. I'm thinking about getting their most inexpensive, Forecast rod building kit that comes with everything i need including a video.

My questions are these....

1. knowing nothing about building a rod can i realistcally build one with this kit and the information i can find on that video and the various websites?

2. I'm thinking about getting the 6'6 2 wt. I want something small for brookie streams and panfish. My question is, do you think i should get the 2 peice or 4 peice for a few dollars more? what would be easier to work with?

I built the 6'6" two piece and LOVE IT! It is a great casting rod.

I also purchased the Hook & Hackle 2 wt line and a 1492 Medalist to go with it. The outfit stays in the trunk of my car for the local pond panfish.

As for building the rod the kit will have most of what you need to get it done. Most important take your time. If you are not happy with a wrap cut it off and do it again. The finish is the real trick. It would help if you can get a system to turn the rod as the finish is applied and dries. An old rotisserie motor is perfect if you can locate one somewhere.

Good luck and if you need any advice feel free to contact me via the message center.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

The best instruction on the Internet is right here:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/[/b]

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Default Re: Hook and Hackle Forecast Rod Building Kit Questions....

1 yes you will be able to build a rod Use foal and you wont even need the video. Get it if you want, I would use the money for tools IMO.
    Also if you have any questions ask them on the BB and we can answer you.

2 If you want the 4pc get it. All my rods I built are 4pc their is no different except 2 female feruel wraps which are easy.

building rods is fun and easy
    Have fun and post some pictures when your done

I have built 5 of the 6'6"2#!! Three for friends and one each for Cary and me. They are fantastic little brookie rods, and wonderful in tight locations.
    Save your money on the video, read FAOL, ask questions on here. Take your time, and practice the wrapping on a piece of dowel till you're comfortable with it. Know your first rod will not be perfect, but will forever be incredible fun.

I don't however, know what these guys mean about rod building being addictive. I've built only 23 or so, and I can quit any time I want!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty - 5!! 6'6" 2wt's. WOW!!

But I do undertsand - a fantatstic little rod indeed!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

thanks guys for the info, I'm looking forward to getting started, its nice to know there is a place like this i can come for help.

Quote Originally Posted by PanFisher
    Betty - 5!! 6'6" 2wt's. WOW!!

But I do undertsand - a fantatstic little rod indeed!
    LOL!!! Any of the rods I've built, I've built multiples of!! Usually at least 5 of each size and weight!! 754, 755, 86, 662, 54, and others. They're fun to build, and it keeps me off the streets!!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

I would love to have a small rod, but am concerned just how well they would cast and mind.

Can you get a 40' cast without working up a sweet?

Can you mind your line with only a 6'6" rod?

Can a 2 wt cast at all with a breeze?

Ripper, I built my first rod this winter and it was a 9' 5 wt Forcast. While I made more than my share of mistakes and I dought that it would impress anyone on this board I am still proud of it. It casts very well and I would compare it to my Sage RPL. My wife signed a friends name on it and we gave it to him for Christmas and he thinks it worth a million bucks.

I think they're wonderful. In answer to your questions;
    Maybe close to 40 ft, but usually with the lighter rod you're in a smaller area.
    Mend the line? You betcha! Easily.
    Breeze or gale forced winds? Breeze ... like a breeze! Gale force ... nah! You'll need a 3# for that!!

+ Reply to Thread