Everyone had good advise! There are some real experts here!

I would just like to add that you never have to live with your first effort. When I made my 6'6" 2wt I decided to upgrade the guides on my 5wt, using two colors instead of one for the thread wraps. It now casts better and looks much better!

Also, to do the wrapping I made a couple of wooden blank holders, little more than 2 boards nailed together in an "L" shape with a "V" cut in one end to hold the blank. I glued felt to the "V" to protect the blank. (I found that I could control the wraps better by lifting the blank off the holder and wrapping with the blank in my hands. But the holders were convenient to hold the blank to pull the thread end under the wraps.)

I applied the rod finish to the wraps using the holders to hold the blank and putting a rubber-band around the blank and then around my electric drill. It took a little fiddling around to level everything to spin the blank without the band travelling on the blank or coming off the drill1 But not much. It actually worked great even though it sounds crazy!
It is MUCH easier to apply a finish to the wraps with a faster spinning blank. When the finish was applied I cut the rubber band and slipped a slow turning rod finisher motor to the end. (Couldn't find a used rotisserie.)

I got a little more long winded than I planned!

The point is, just have fun making your first rod. It is a real hoot to catch that first fish on a rod YOU made! In two years, maybe four, you might want to spruce up that 'old' rod! You can remake that rod and have twice the fun!!

Charlie