+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food for thought

Default Food for thought

Those recent threads on Soup, Chicken fries, etc got me thinking about new menus for this season.

I've been eating the same thing on the water for the past, oh, couple of decades.

Not snacks, power bars 'n stuff we gobble down in the heat of the action, ... I mean REAL food, ...

Shore lunches, real meals at the camps, stuff like that.

Here's a typical menu for me, .... How about you??

Breakfast:
    Most important meal of the day:
    • Bacon[/*:m:53386]
    • Scrambled eggs[/*:m:53386]
    • Ham[/*:m:53386]
    • Juice, milk and LOTS of coffee[/*:m:53386]
    • Meat pie 'n baked beans.[/*:m:53386]

Lunch is usually:
    • Soup for starter[/*:m:53386]
    • Juice[/*:m:53386]
    • Chicken pot pie[/*:m:53386]
    • Baked beans[/*:m:53386]

Supper varies, but leans towards grilled steaks or Chops, Baked potatoes 'n salad with a soup starter. Chinese food also (re-heated in a steamer) often BBQ Duck, Chinese Dumplings and stir fry.

Preparing lunch on the #8 pool - September 2003

How about you ??? What do you like to eat on the beach

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:53386]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:53386]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 21 May 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

Dear fcch,

With a menu like that why even bother with fishing?

Just feed people and set out a bunch of streamside air mattresses so people can nap while listening to the rustling brook.

I'm a diabetic so I have to have something to eat while on stream. Beef jerky and peanut butter crackers usually do the job.

I'd go fishing with you just for the food!!!!!

I do have to ask, why two meals with baked beans? Do you have a death wish?

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Tim,

Old habits go down hard.

I'm a real "fan" of complex carbs. It's a bit cool here in mid October and the water gets down to 36 degres. I don't like sugar when I'm in the Bush so I like to layer complex carbs on top of something with a load of fat. Fuel lasts longer that way (IMHO)

My soup is home made ... not too much salt 'n that helps keep the electrolytes in balance.

Without a good fuel source, I just can't function right.

In all honesty, the menu sort of evolved on its own. I used to have a one burner stove (still do own the Peak 1), so make a meal for 3-4 (me and a few clients) that would be good and STAY hot was a challenge.

I don't float much, so the order of the day s often Breakfast, (at 04h00 for Salmon season), BIG breakfast. When it's cold out, it's esential. When it will be too hot, it's the only time to really eat something.

Long morning of fishing, ... Lesurely lunch, clients often take a nap. Mid afternoon we head back out and fish 'til dark.

Supper is a real wind down affair. Relax over soup and chow down usually 30 minutes after that.

I can usually hear snoring even before the dish water is heated up

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:12d88]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:12d88]

Christopher Chin

Dear fcch,

You've obviously thought this out.

I have to ask this and please don't be offended by it, but do you ever cook up those fresh salmon streamside?

I honestly don't know if that is even legal to do, but I do know that lakeside meals of walleye and pike always had a special appeal to me. I was wondering if the same thing happens with salmon fishermen?

I can finally understand why you serve breakfast at 0400. It's getting light out up your way at that time.

You must enjoy some long and glorious days during the summer. I hope it more than makes up for the 3 hours of daylight you receive in the winter.

Someday I'll get up your way. You have posted some beautiful pictures on this board and I really would like to experience your home waters.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

JC, ... That's touching.... Still Thinking about it.

Tim,

Mid June, Sun rises at 04h38 (on jun 24th) and you can fish starting 1 hour BEFORE that. So if you want get an early start, you need to eat at 02h00, finish up, wash up and be on the beach at 03h30. (well some die hards do that.)

As for salmon steaks on the beach, ... not always practical. Ya see, you MUST register a Salmon in Quebec within 24 hours of catching it (for a keeper). The fish has to be whole. So if you slice out a steak or two, you're breaking the law (has to be measured, scale taken etc. It's a tad complicated to dress out a salmon too for many. Quite a few anglers have it done by a Butcher in town.

We do serve up sea run brook trout on occasion though and I'll sometimes smoke a few over night for multi-day clients. (water smoker).

The longer daylight is a bit fun in June, but ... do a 3-5 day run and the nights start getting a tad short.

You can fish from 03h30 'til 21h42 on June 24th. Figure you breakfast an hour before and finish supper almost two hours after that and there are only 3 hours left for a night's sleep.

Afternoon naps are common. (Well, clients do, gives me a chance to try out some dries )

After a long morning of long casts on the 43, Vince takes a breather on the beech. (aug 2004)

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:a978f]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:a978f]

Christopher Chin

Dear fcch,

Thank you for the explaination on eating salmon streamside as well as the descriptive picture.

You definitely have some pretty country up your way.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

My menu:
    Either a chicken Caesar salad which I prepare beforehand so on the water I only need to mix the romaine, dressing, cheese, croutons and grilled chicken. Fast and good on a hot day.

or
    Grilled pork tenderloin and side of pasta salad, french bread, and whatever else I think of

or
    Grilled brats or polish sausage on a bun, served with sauted onions and peppers and some sides.

Served morels last year cuz the pickin was good, I sautee them in white wine and garlic, but there aren't many out this year so I don't think I'll be doing that for a while. I would try and serve them as a snack with some Saint Andre triple creme brie, spanish olives and french bread. It's all about the food.

Benjo !!
    (nice to see one knows the difference between Grilled and BBQ'd)

Question ,... What dressing for Ceasar salad.

We make ours:
    • White wine vinegar[/*:m:31556]
    • Olive oil[/*:m:31556]
    • 2 cloves crushed garlic[/*:m:31556]
    • Bacon bits[/*:m:31556]
    • Dijon Mustard[/*:m:31556]
    • Capers[/*:m:31556]
    • Lemon juice[/*:m:31556]
    • Worchteshire (sp) sauce[/*:m:31556]
    • Tabasco (edit - knew I forgot something)[/*:m:31556]
    • Salt 'n pepper[/*:m:31556]
    • Egg yoke[/*:m:31556]
    • Graped Parmesan[/*:m:31556]

We add the graped cheese INTO the dressing to make it thick so it'll stick to the lettuce.

Man, ... it's 01h22 and I'm getting hungry

PS. I agree it's all about the food. When I look at the articles about the Fish-ins, I get the feeling you folks go there mainly to eat and when you can't eat anymore, you fish

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:31556]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:31556]

Christopher Chin

all i know is the best tasting food streamside for me is having some good baked beans, and frying up a couple brookies i just caught on the coleman and a can of pepsi. top that off with some beef jerky and then its time to hit the water again.

is it just me or does food taste 10 times better out in the woods.

Nate,

It's not just you, ... EVERTHING is better. (food, JD, a cigar, aged cheddar, Port, sunsets, a kiss on your Girlfriend's cheek, Junior's laugh ... Name it)

You put bacon in the baked beans ?? Cut up 4-5 srips, brown in a skillet, then add the beans right into the hot bacon + grease mix. That's how I reheat mine

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:db358]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:db358]
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread