Thanks for the opinions so far guys. I'll take a harder look at the Orvis stuff. One variable I neglected to mention is that $100 of my money is in the form of a Cabela's gift card, and Cabela's, as I'm sure you know, doesn't carry Orvis.

Joe, I guess I'm not like most of you, but I own neither a reel that will work for a 7/8 rod nor any waders. (I am relatively new to fly fishing.) This will be my first pair of waders and my first salt water reel. That's why I am trying to squeeze both out of my money. I don't know what led you to believe I was buying unnecessary flash (OK, it is only recreational stuff), but on my salary and as the father of 5 kids, having $300 to myself is a huge luxury. I'm buying fishing gear, not collectibles. That doesn't mean, however, that I don't have preferences on what the stuff looks like. I do appreciate quality gear, and I am willing to save rather than being impatient. I do not want to regret my purchase because I was a tad too cheap and burned by poor quality.

Tyler