+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fly maintenance " rust "

Default fly maintenance " rust "

i have a bunch of old flys in a fly box that i have no idea were they came from. the flys are all mostly in good condition eccept for a few that have rust on the hooks. what is the best way to insure that no more flies get rusty. i find it hard to get the fly dry after using it and prior to putting it back into the box.

Dear new2fly,

If your fishing vest doesn't have a fly drying patch you can pick one up for a couple of dollars at any fly shop.

I use one made out of foam, and when I change flies I put the used fly on the foam to dry out. At the end of the fishing session I return that fly to my fly box.

Truth be told, that is the way it is supposed to work, but I rarely am that organized.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

I fish some big bass bugs and befor I take them off I false cast the heck out of them. Drys them out pretty well. Works even better on small drys.

tim, LOL thanks. i just bought a vest the other night and was wondering what that furry patch on my jacket was for.

Nate,

i ... was wondering what that furry patch on my jacket was for
    That's a hoot!! When you put flies into it, if your flies are barbless, they can fall off somes times, so watch out.

Did you know your vest probably has a rod holder on it ?? The loop that hangs off the bottom for the butt of the rod and the velcro patch probably up on the left chest.
    (took me about 2 years to figure that out back when )

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:c5c51]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:c5c51]
    Christopher Chin

new2fly, as you've already learned from other posts, not putting flies away wet is the way to keep them rust free.

A word of caution though, if you use barbless flies, they will not hold well in the foam or woool type patches and you will find you lose flies from the patch. I use a product called a "Flytrap" made by Waterworks Lamson. It has a patch in an easy to open, vented case that attaches to your vest.

------------------
    Joe

fcch, i got a loop but no velcro patch. well thats ok.

thanks guys for the help, i will make sure i get them flies dried out before i put them back in the box.

I use an Altoids tin. I just drilled a bunch of holes in it and drop the wet flies in. They dry just fine and I either put them back in the proper boxes or I just take them out and use them the next time. Fast, cheap, and effective.

------------------
    Fish wise, cast flies, tell no lies...

JC, That film canister dryer looks pretty neat. I usually dry my flies on low overhanging branches that I can't get to. OK, I guess it would be fair to say 5-10 yrds into the trees or brush on the other side of the stream. When I get this delivery thing figured out and I actually decide to change flies, I think I'll make a few.

------------------
    Land Em',
    Carp

Similar to the Altoids tin method, I drill small holes in the lid of my flybox for ventilation (I just put the soaked flies back in the box and forget it). I also have a thin skinned (single ply) nylon belly/fanny pack so air circulates (breathable) in the pack (my flybox goes in the pack). Like my old light nylon windbreaker jacket that kept out the wind and rain, well sort of, but it did let air in. But I don't get any rust on my hooks anymore. Before I did this, I did have rust on my hooks and had to use an emery board to get the rust off.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 22 May 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

+ Reply to Thread