+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunglasses for eyeglass wearers

Default Sunglasses for eyeglass wearers

Hi guys,

Just an FYI ... I wear eyeglasses and have (for many years) been planning on getting some prescription sunglasses. I still haven't done it yet, for some reason.

I've tried two or three pairs of sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses, but the execution was never quite as good as the idea ... gouged ears, pinchy nose, etc

On Wednesday I tried on a pair of Cocoons (they come in many sizes) at a local shop and BAM found a pair that fit and work perfectly. Totally impressed, I bought one pair and ordered a second. They're $46 (Canadian) or (US)$40

Check their website.

Ron

If you find a frame you like, let me know and I will make you some prescription lenses(need an RX) for a good price.
    I'm an eye doctor and flyfisher and will be more than happy to cut fellow flyfishers a deal.

I'd use nothing else but good, quality polarized lenses for fishing.

Personally I use polarized progressive bifocals. Everything in one pair. Using clip-ons over regular lenses is one huge PIA!

Let me know if you need any help.

pm me
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Default Merci !!

Hi BBW!

Wow ... thanks ... that's very gracious of you. It just so happens that I'm getting my eyes checked (for the first time in about eight years) on Thursday.

I'm 57 and have very weak eyes ... I too use progressive bi-focals but (when I'm changing flies) I have to remove them and hold the darned fly about five inches from my nose.

Thanks again ... I'll keep you posted.

Ron in Winnipeg

big bad wolf I am blind in one eye and have a cataract developing on the other. For the last couple of years I have had difficulty seeing even large flies and reading road signs while wearing any sunglasses. Do you know of any glasses that I could use for uv protection and hopefully polarized that are not so dark? Thanks
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I agree with BB Wulff's approach. I too have polarized progressive lenses and it is so much easier than anything else I've done. They work right (like my non-sunglasses), stay in place and there is no fiddling around with it.

jed

I too wear bi-focals and need to take them off to see up close.
    I've gotten to the point where I have more stuff hanging from my neck than Mr.T
    The Bi-focals, the fitover shades, the magnifing glasses, and often a lanyard.
    Tangles in my line and leader are nothing compared to this ****

I'll check out the Cocoons
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser
    big bad wolf I am blind in one eye and have a cataract developing on the other. For the last couple of years I have had difficulty seeing even large flies and reading road signs while wearing any sunglasses. Do you know of any glasses that I could use for uv protection and hopefully polarized that are not so dark? Thanks
    Any sunglasses are going to give you problems due to them cutting down on total light coming thru the lens. Is surgery an option for your cataract? I can imagine you are a bit tentative due to being one-eyed, but modern cataract surgery is extremely safe and very effective. You can even aske them to leave you artificially corrected to see up close but your distance vision will be blurred(a trade off).
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Thanks wulf I was afraid you'd say that. The doc says the darn thing isn't operable yet but it is beginning to be a first class nuisance. I'm due for an eye exam this winter; maybe it will be far enough along to remove.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Default Please delete.

Hi again,

FYI ...

The salesperson here in Winnpeg (at a very upscale eyeglass shop) was so totally out-of-touch that she insisted that the first ones that I bought were not polarized ... and still I soldiered on and ordered another (polarized) second pair ... and then (within hours of my curious e-mail to Cocoons) the GM 'way off in California wrote me two detailed responses that made me believe that they cared about customer service.

I'd be glad to cut-and-paste them ...

The first ...

If the glasses you bought are Cocoons, then they are definitely polarized. In fact, if you bought any Live Eyewear brand; the glasses are definitely polarized.

Could you send me the model number that is on the inside temple? That will identify the product for me and I can verify the lens characteristics.

The second ...

Hi Ron,

The model number you quoted is indeed a polarized product. All Cocoons are polarized; there are no non-polarized models with tinted lenses.

I have copied Alex Burke in on this reply. Alex handles consumer issues and can send you a Cocoons cleaning cloth at no charge via the mail. If you could reply to Alex with your mailing address, he will get one off to you today. In future, if you are ever need to determine if a sunglass has polarized lenses, follow these instructions.

Remove one lens out of the sunglass and place it in front of the other lens in the exact same position as the lens that is in the sunglass. You should be able to see clearly through both lenses.

Then, rotate one of the lenses 90 degrees while looking through the lenses. As you rotate the lens 90 degrees, the lens will ?black out?? and you should not be able to see through it any more. (This is because the polarization axis which were running horizontally, much like a Venetian blind, are being crossed over each other, effectively blocking out all light) If you can?t see through the lens as it ?blacks out?? the lenses are polarized. If nothing happens, and you can still see through the lenses.. they are not polarized.

Regards,

Kieran

Everybody's shopping-experience is a bit different ... on my head they fit great.

I remain,

Yr. Obdt. Srvt.

Ron

Default Please delete.

Please delete.

+ Reply to Thread