+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sunglasses for eyeglass wearers

Is 'Fitovers' a brand name David?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I'm using "Polar Optics" clipons and I love them. The quality of the lenses is first class, they weigh alonost next to nothing and Walmart sells them for something around 16 bucks. I carry them in amber and gray so that I can adjust to light and water conditions. I am wearing a wide brim hat while fishing so that the light and glare from sides are not an issue.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

DavidinMD, ok the Fitovers brand is very similar to the Cocoons. The Cocoons might have a bit more coverage above the lenses but it's hard to say without trying the Fitovers. I like the matte finish on the Cocoons...no reflection, more grippy.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default Re: Please delete.

Remove one lens out of the sunglass and place it in front of the other lens in the exact same position as the lens that is in the sunglass. You should be able to see clearly through both lenses.

Then, rotate one of the lenses 90 degrees while looking through the lenses. As you rotate the lens 90 degrees, the lens will ?black out?? and you should not be able to see through it any more. (This is because the polarization axis which were running horizontally, much like a Venetian blind, are being crossed over each other, effectively blocking out all light) If you can?t see through the lens as it ?blacks out?? the lenses are polarized. If nothing happens, and you can still see through the lenses.. they are not polarized.

Don't take your glasses apart if you do not have to. If you already have polarized clip ons or non-prescription polarized sun glasses, the 90 degree trick will work. In stores I do this with two pairs of glassed from the shelf to verify that they really are polarized. BTW UV blocking does not mean polarized. And polarized does not necessarily mean UV blocking.
    Bear742

And yet another great BTW from Bear ! Thank you ! Before I ordered my Cocoons from LL Bean, I checked the Cocoons website. They're polarized and they're rated at UV 400.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default fellow flyfisher

I am getting ready to get new prescription; is their anthing special I should tell the Doc because then I want to get an extra pair of polarized lenses and frames. thanks, Gil

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff
    If you find a frame you like, let me know and I will make you some prescription lenses(need an RX) for a good price.
    I'm an eye doctor and flyfisher and will be more than happy to cut fellow flyfishers a deal.

I'd use nothing else but good, quality polarized lenses for fishing.

Personally I use polarized progressive bifocals. Everything in one pair. Using clip-ons over regular lenses is one huge PIA!

Let me know if you need any help.

pm me

+ Reply to Thread