It's my dad's 60th birthday this year. He's getting closer to retirement, but is still active in the outdoors. He's never been a fly fisherman, but has fished all his life.

I'm thinking about building him a rod for his 60th birthday. I've never built a rod before. I haven't started tying flies yet (although I have most everything I need). The kicker is that I want a travel-size rod for him. He's got a motorcycle that he and my mom ride during the summers and he's commented on how it would be great to try fishing some of those rivers he rides along. I'd like a rod that packs down into his saddlebags.

I saw this morning that Cabela's is selling the Stowaway 7-piece blanks for $40 and thought that it might be a good way to get him into a fly rod. Is this a reasonable price? Is this a reasonable kit to start on?

For what it's worth, I'm an engineer by profession. I've done woodworking and am reasonably handy with tools. I've got a pretty well-stocked shop, but probably not with what I need for rodmaking.

How crazy is this idea?