Well, it's been a while since I've asked for advice here - the search button seems to have all the answers lately, but there isn't a whole lot on sinking lines, except for one thread in the warmwater forum. Here goes. I'm ashamed to say that despite my years of trout fishing experience on still and moving waters, until recent years, I have neglected the pleasure and utility of the streamer for catching trout in lakes and deep water. This past summer I did some streamer fishing near my home in Colorado, and had quite a fun time; it was a nice break from my usual fishing fare. I also did some carp fishing (not that you need a sinking line for that) and had a blast, catching a 'golden bonefish' on my first afternoon of attempts. To make a long story short, I've resolved to do a lot more streamer fishing in the new year, and am looking for the right line to do the job. I've been using lead (either on the hook or the leader) and to be honest, at any given time I really don't know where my fly is in the water column - I just hope for the best. It's time to look into sinking lines. Since I know it's great to toss up a lot of information when asking for advice like this, here are the facts.

1. I need a line that will allow me to fish streamers in still waters 10-30 (or maybe more) feet deep, and a line that will allow my nymphs and streamers to sink quickly in fast moving water. Hopefully this is the same line and I don't have to buy two. I fish for trout mostly, if that makes a difference.

2. Casting well is sort of a priority - for the lakes I am fishing, I need to be able to make longish casts, say 70 feet or so, so if a line casts like a complete pig, then it probably isn't for me. I would also like to point out that when a line casts like a pig it's usually my fault, but I really know nothing about the casting properties of sinking lines, so if some of them are exceptionally difficult to cast, then I should probably stay away from those lines.

3. I need a line for a 6-weight fast action rod. I notice that some lines are rated for both 5 and 6 weights, and really don't know what to think about that.

I understand the difference between full sinking and sink tip lines, in terms of keeping the fly in the sweet spot longer during the retrieve. Also note that this line will be on a second rod on my outings, so there is no need to try to do everything - I just want a setup that sinks quickly, casts better than my floating line with a ton of splitshot on it. I've been looking at the line options on Cabelas.com, and there are more than a few. What I'd love to have from you fine folks is your opinions on full-sinking vs. sink-tip line, given the kind of fishing I do, and maybe some specific advice on brands and products.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the holiday season, all, and accept my wishes of many days and nights of enjoyable and productive fishing in the new year!

~JW