+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying Flies Online

Default Buying Flies Online

Every couple of weeks, it seems this same question comes up and I never seem to have enough foresight to write down the answers. Anyone have a good suggestion for cheap flies online? Anything with a pretty large selection? Thanks!

Great service and quality with bargain prices and a sponsor here:
    [url=http://www.hillsdiscountflies.com:acfd9]http://www.hillsdiscountflies.com[/url:acfd9]

------------------
    Joe

what ffjoe said, or do what JC said and you'll find hills there as well.

jed

Letortrun,

Just got an order from Hill Discount, they were fast and very easy to use.
    I can highly recomend them.

Found on this sight as JC suggests.

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard

[This message has been edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff (edited 19 May 2005).]
    Wyo-Blizzard

I'm curious.
    what do you guys who buy yer flies spend on them in an average year?
    do you find yer selection limited to the extent that you can't match a hatch?

whatever the case may be I'm sure yer spending less than tyers spend on hooks and other materials.

mgj

Oh,Me thinks Mikie has'nt checkout the going rates of flies these days.....I'll not ever regret taking up tying right as I did Flyfishing....7 bucks for a dash of deer hair and a strip of bunny hide is'nt ever going to be worth such for this Flyfisher can tie a dozen for way less than that...
    call me cheap or whatever...but for those on a limited earning scale..Tying is the only way to go...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Mikey, If your talking about, say, just a dozen flies and you had to go out and buy all the materials to tie that dozen it would cost you a lot more to tie them yourself. For example you can buy a dozen Adams at hills for $8.95. To but a package of hooks, grizzly and brown hackles, dubbing, thread, it will cost a heck of lot more than 8.95. Once you have a good collection of materials the cost will start coming way down per dozen that you tie yourself and eventually you will save money, however you still need the time to tie them. I tie most of my flies but I do it because I like it and I like creating new stuff and variations. I don't think I save any money. It seems that I'm always "needing" some new material. Sometimes I need a dozen of a certain pattern and I don't have the time to tie them or get a certain material that I lack, so I buy from Hill's.

------------------
    Joe

You might also want to try [url=http://www.discountflies.com:af1f1]www.discountflies.com[/url:af1f1] I have had pretty good luck with them and they are timely. They also have free shipping on all orders in the month of may over $30

I'm a cheapy too. I tie using hackles I purchased 20 years ago. Yes, you pay a little extra up front, but the materials last a long time. Granted, dry flies are my least favorite to tie, the real savings are on the streamers and Bunny Bugs.

Tying pays off mostly in the fact that there are alot of patterens and sizes you just can't find.Many midges are either none existant or the wrong size,color...oh we don't even want to go down the road of color...lol...as I've also been dying my own materials for some years now....and I like knowing when I tie a fly onto my leader..that it's going to still be intact and look like what was intended after an hour of casting/fishing....I enjoy every facet of this sport...Fly tying,Rod Building...ok....so I got a lil side tracked...lol..
    the most important reason I feel for myself in tying is that I control the quality of the overall Tying,and I see alot of flies out there that just don't look to me what a natural actually looks like "where I feel a certian patteren needs to be" Such as my Crayfish patteren...I have not yet seen a patteren other than the one I composed 6 years ago,that makes me say wow thats it.....and is still simple for me to tie..but I get lost while tying..so simple is different for all...ok I'll stop babbleing..lol...forgive me all....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread