+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hackle Neck.

Default Hackle Neck.

I was at Bass Pro Shops today and bought this grizzly hackle neck. it was only $20 and its really big and the feathers are relativley long on it, high feather count, and a relativley high barb count per feather. its some brand i've never heard of, called Keough. anyone ever used/heard of it??? i like it for the most part. great bargain too!

Default Hackle Neck

David, I have a couple of Keogh capes and they're first-rate. Not quite on a par with some of the best producers, I suppose, but not bad.....

I use them and for the price you can't go wrong. Ron

Keogh's are a good product, It depends on what you tie, neck prices are dictated by the number of small feathers, among other things like stem fineness. If you don't tie in size 20 or smaller than the cheaper necks will be just fine.

yeah most of my flies are in the 12-14 range. occasionally ill tie a 16 or 18, but rarely. i like the hackle. i like the fact that the hackle feathers are pretty long (longer than my grade 3 conranch neck at least ) so i can compensate for the mid barb count (which conranch has no problem with, plenty o' barbs on their necks) by wrapping alot of hackle

David, i used the one i got when i was there with ya and tied a mosquito and an adams and the hackle is great. i also tied a nymph with the copper wire you gave me and it works awesome, just a dab of glue at where you tie it in and its great. i also tied a mega nymph that ill show ya later usin the yarn ya gave me.

good job greg, glad to see you usin the stuff i gave you!

HI Dsaavedra,

Keough is a major producer of hackle. My experience was that the stems are good to wrap, and they seldom twist.

I haven't bought one in a while but looked at one only a short time back...looked good for the money, and the price for their tier's grade is great. the color of the brown was superb.

The first hackle I ever bought was Keough. Tied nice dries with it. It has improved a lot since I bought it, to my understanding.

Regards,

Gandolf

Not knocking Conranch at all. The necks and saddles I got there are great. But over the years I have picked up quite a few Keough products and have likewise been very happy with them.

yes i got two necks from Denny (a very nice gift indeed) and i LOVE them. the only negative thing i can think about Conranch's hackle is that the skin is a little thin, and i have had it rip on me several times.

+ Reply to Thread