+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!!!

Default HELP!!!!!

I NEED HELP!!!

i just bought some 6/0 flat waxed thread from bass pro shops, its Dansville brand. i tried it and got super mad cuz it kept fraying where it would come out of the bobbin tube, so i declared that the thread SUCKED! later upon closer inspection, i saw a small nick in the tube, the main culprit.

now...HOW DO I REMOVE THIS PROBLEM!?!?!?

thanks

David,

I had a similiar problem. My bobbin would constantly cut the thread. I took some 800 grit paper and a tooth pick and worked the inside tip of the opening. I figured I had nothing to loose by trying. This worked for me but can't say it will work in everyone's case.

Good Luck
    Steve
    Steve

You can also get a cheap ceramic tip bobin and let the metal one for other stuff like wires (I use it for ribbing)

Martin
    "And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world" Satchmo

Default Help!

David, this will be a recurring problem with any metal tube bobbin. It can be cured as suggested with fine sandpaper or emery cloth, but the easiest and longest-lasting cure is a ceramic bobbin. You can find one made in India which works well for about $7, or the Griffin for about 10-12 bucks. They are both well worth the money.

alright. i took my finest sandpaper (400) to it and it still frays it a lil. ill try putting the paper on a toothpick so i can get the inside of the lip, instead of just the outside...

Try "Jewelers Rouge". Ask for a bit of it at your local jeweler. It is just about the finest polish made. A good friend of mine is a jeweler and he keeps my bobbins in tip top shape.

Two Weight

LUCKY! im kinda tryin for a at-home fix tho...i dont really want to go buy some stuff from a jewler..

Blog Entries

you got a drill or a dremel? Insert a toothpick, and then use toothpaste for the abrasive. It will work, but there's not as much abrasive in toothpaste as in some things.

The suggestion to retire the bobbin to use with lead wire or some such is a good one. Invest in a couple (or a dozen) good ceramic bobbins, keep them loaded with the threads you use all the time, will save you time and hassle of loading bobbins all the time. And old metal tube bobbins work very well for wire weight.

Luck

DG

If you have a glass bead you can glue it to the tip of the bobbin with crazy clue or similar product. Another fix is to place a rubber tube over the the end of the bobbin and have it hang over the tip by about a 1/2". Your local hardware store just might have a scrap section of small tubing they would give you for pennies if not free.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

i never thought to use toothpaste....seems like its worth a try.

i am thinking of investing in a ceramic bobbin tho. are that realy that good??? anyone kno where i could get one for cheap and very low shipping? do the ceramic ones chip like a ceramic pot would?

+ Reply to Thread