+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July in MT, recommendations on tying

1. Default July in MT, recommendations on tying

Hey all,

I have reserved a place for 10 days or so at the beginning of July (5-16) in Ennis and need a little guidance on what to tie. I have a list of the standards, have already tied up 20 dozen or so of EHC, E&CDC, Stimis, (salmon and yellows), pheasant tails, PMD duns, emergers, and spinners, foxsquirrel nymphs. Used the size charts from Blue Ribbon as guide.
    Two questions to those who fish the Madison, Gallatin, and Ruby. Tie some streamers too, and are there other patterns needed?
    Final question: I would like to hire a guide for a day to learn. Recommendations or testemonials would be appreciated.

Normand Guest

You might want to look at the Madison River Fishing Company in Ennis Mt for some help

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverMontana ... fault.aspx

Other fly shops are:

Bud Lilys

Bob Jacklin

Blue Ribbon Outfitters

A guide for what river???

3. Default

Probably the Madison, but I'm flexible. Interested in a teaching guide who will be generous with how tos.

I would go with Jacklins. Guides are more interested in your learning experience than even fish numbers. They know where the fish are and how to bring them to you.

Default Montana in July

I live in Montana and would never use a nymph in July, but that is just me. Hoppers, Elk Hair Caddis, Salmonflies, Stimis, Peacock PMX are all good patterns. You should be here right at the beginning of some great dry fly fishing. I will caution you that it may be a bit crowded, but you can always find places to enjoy the river. Jacklin's would also be my choice for a guide.

There is a campground up river from Ennis that rents rafts and has shuttle services if you want to float on your own. The Ruby and Gallatin will also be fishing well along with many of the other small creeks and streams in the area.

Keep an eye out for snakes.

Hi
    I don't fish the rivers, but you might want to have some ants and beetles also.
    Dean

I would focus less on stimulators and more on low riding patterns like Rogues and cat-pukes for the salmonflies.

Blue Ribbon has great guides. I would request a guide who is a year round resident, no matter which outfitter you use.

Hello Benjo ! Rogue and Cat Puke pictures/recipes please? :))

Happy New Year !

MontanaMoose

If you look in the old fly of the week sections there are instructions to tie a Rogue style.

Google might find you a recipe for the "cat puke", which is an interesting pattern. I'm not in love with the puke style of flies but there's no denying that they catch fish.

Thanks benjo ! I like the Rogue Stone from Orvis...

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/image ... Step-9.jpg

Checked out the 'cat puke', I wouldn't tye stones like that either.

Happy New Year,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread