+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pflueger medalist question

Default Pflueger medalist question

I have on old medalist, hardly used in great shape. model is a 1495 CJ. It says Made in the USA on the white face plate but Japan on the reel seat.
    It has an old 6 wt. line on it. Two questions ...
    1 - Will it hold a 7 or 8 wt. line? (I want to use it on an old 8'6" bamboo)
    2 - Can it be reversed to a left hand wind? maybe by reversing the black clicker plate?

Sounds like you've got a US-made spool on a Japanese-made frame.

Yes, you can put a 7/8 line on it.

I agree with Bugsy...CJ on the frame means Japan.
    USA made reels had DA stamped on the frame of nothing at all.

Hello Bigfin,

Yes, the 1495 will easily hold an 8 wt line. I have one rigged up that way. Now, on to reversing the Medalist.

After you remove the spool, you?ll notice a beveled plastic or metal drag disk held in place by a beveled metal retainer secured with two tiny screws.

Take the screws out and put them in a very safe place. Slide the metal retainer and drag disk CAREFULLY up the shaft. Underneath is the tiny pawl and spring. The pawl has a slanted face. CAREFULLY turn it 180 degrees. The spring will fly out if given a chance for freedom!

Flip the drag disk over and slide it and the metal retainer back on the shaft. If the drag disk is beveled, it is not reversible and you will not be able to flip it. In this case, you need to order a replacement drag disk from Shakespeare, 1-800-347-3759. It is called a Ratchet, Part # 74-30-0004-01. This one is plastic, reversible and costs about 30 cents.

Once the metal retainer and flipped drag disk are slid down the shaft, tighten the two tiny screws you removed earlier.

Final step is to unscrew the face plate on the reel body, and position the line guard to the other side. You?re done!

If you need a replacement metal retainer, it is called a Bearing, Part # 74-04-0003-01. About 40 cents.

If you need the tiny screws, they are Retaining Screws, Part # 74-58-0008-01. About 50 cents each.

And if you need the Pawl and Spring assembly, it is Part # 74-67-0006-01.

If you are interested in the Pflueger Medalist history, please read my history article here on FAOL:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... rt287.html

Now go fish and enjoy your left-hand retrieve Medalist!

Cheers,
    Richard
    Plano TX

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. And Richard for the detailed information and your Medalist history. I'll take a closer look tonight and see about the change. Thanks again.

Don't worry, be happy. You have the best of both worlds. A USA spool and a perfect copy frame. Go for it! I have a 1495 and use it on an Albirght 8 wt rod with double taper and WF line. You will come to really like your reel. It is time tested and a good reel. Enjoy!!!

Jonezee is absolutely right. The modern Medalist spools will fit even the 1930s era Medalists, and spools from that era will fit modern 2006 Medalists. The ultimate upward/downward compatibility!

They are tough reels and will last a lifetime. Sure, there are "prettier" and costlier flyreels, but you'll never go wrong with a workhorse Medalist.

Cheers,
    Richard
    Plano TX

No problem with the lines. I keep a WF9F bass bug taper on mine.

+ Reply to Thread