+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: There ain't no fish in this creek (pics)

Default There ain't no fish in this creek (pics)

Yours truly and FAOL member-slash-All-Star pspaint braved the elements on Christmas Eve morning (how oxymoronic does THAT sound?) to bag a few creek chubs on a small Lake Ontario tributary. Rain from the previous day had put some color into the water, brought it up considerably from its previous status as low-n-clear, and turned it into a veritable jacuzzi of a balmy 44 degrees F. Confident that the prior day's winds were a distant memory, we ventured out armed to the hilt and prepared for whatever curveballs those wily chubs could throw our way. Flying in the face of decades of established chubbery, and after much painful deliberation, we were determined to subdue our quarry with nothing but fly gear.

Hours of dogged line whipping proved fruitless, despite over two dozen rod-bending bouts with an army of pesky brown trout. Due to the absolute lack of creek chub action, I am forced to (in utter embarrassment) present the following pictures of some of our B-grade conquests. My most sincere apologies.

First of the day:

Phil starts out strong:

These dang browns won't stop harrassing my chub flies

Phil is apparently having the same problem...

Though Phil initially thought he'd hooked a monster Salmon River-sized chub, he was met with disappointment yet again:

Misfortune strikes again!

Lady luck must have had a good laugh with this one:

Next time, we'll just be resigned to catching trout like this steelhead. They put up a decent fight, even if they aren't chubs...

And here's one from the previous day for Kerry Stratton. See, even a toughguy breaks down and smiles every now and again!

Wishing you all safe, happy, and relaxing holidays!!! May your pursuit of creek chubs and suckers be every bit as unsuccessful as ours!

Marty

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

looks like you all had a terible trip and got skunked by the chubs maby next time right?

What a bunch of hogs! I'll bet you were smiling the whole time?

I'm afraid those fish might be a bit much for my 3wt.

Looks like y'all had a tough day on the water

Once again, you guys rocked their socks off!!!

Great set!
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

Man, don't ya just hate days like that. All those trash fish and the stinking chubs put the skunk on ya. <EG> Better luck next time guys.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thank you all for your sympathy. It is always comforting to know that there is someone who's been down that road before...

One particularly frightening thought occurred to us during the course of that day: that we'd have to start lining chubs. Fortunately it didn't come to that, as we remained true to fair and sporting ways.

Joking aside, it was one hell of a ride! 25 (+/-) landed that day, and many more that should have been.

Marty

MrFTG,
    Don't worry. The weather, the moon phase, and water temps will change and you WILL eventually find those elusive chubs.
    Until then just think of those easy fins as practice.
    ps WTG! Those are amazing fish!!!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Marty, you guys stink! LOL! Although rain is in the forecast for Jan.1 - think you can duplicate that "chub" hunting up on the Gunpowder? Hope to see ya there...
    Mike K.
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

Mike - - -

One word (okay, three words):

San Juan Worm

Marty

+ Reply to Thread