+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I really need a sinking line?

Default Do I really need a sinking line?

Most of what I fish are in smaller ponds, probably no deeper than 10-12 feet. I think I am doing okay using flies weighted with bead head or some lead wire.

Because of the cooler weather, I wonder if I get the fly down to the bottom, would I do better?

Asking for some practical advice, some of the books I have looked at recommend one of everything from the fly shop (a bit of an exaggeration). Some where in the middle is the truth?

If I should get a sinking line, that is another line of questions, sink tip, sink rate

I don't think it's necessary for you to get a sinking line if the ponds you fish are only about 10-12 feet deep. What I'd do is lengthen my leader to accomodate the depth. Give the flies plenty of time to sink and be sure the retrieve is very SLOW.
    I had the pleasure of using an aqua view camera on year when I was ice fishing. it was very interesting to see how the fish reacted to all the things I did with my fly. When they did bite it was so sublte that if I hadn't been watching it on a tv screen I never would have known they bit!

Just lengthen your leader and you should be fine. Then again, a sink tip line would be a good addition to your arsenal. It also comes in handy when you're fishing streamers for bigger fish that are a bit deeper.

Thunderthumbs.

I'd add a sink tip not just for now, but even for summer fishing. They're fun with poppers and hair bugs because they will pull the top water offering deeper into the feeding zone. If you do any warmwater river fishing for walleyes, a sink tip is a must as far as I'm concerned. It's a nice investment. JGW

For the depth you are fishing I would recommend that you try a fluorocarbon furled leader about 7 foot long and attach about 5 foot of fluorocarbon tippet. Fluorocarbon will sink faster than mono leaders and I feel would get your fly down to the depths you are fishing. I make my own furled leaders and I nymph/wet fly/streamer fish year around on the local rivers, lakes and ponds and never change from the set-up I just recommended. I use the above set-up everywhere I go fishing and have had good success with it. My flurorcarbon tippet is 6 pound test attached to a 7 foot furled leader made from Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon that is 4 pound test.

The above recommendation is only my opinion and suggestion and others may agree or disagree.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I remember an article someplace, maybe perhaps here on FAOL, how to make a furled leader.

As I recall, you needed an electric screwdriver or drill to twist the line, but that is all I remember. Didn't see anything under a search of FAOL other than descriptions about furled leaders.

Bill, Look in here to make furled leaders;

www.peninsulaflyfisher.org or

www.globalflyfisher.com

there is good info on making furled leaders in there.

I just started tring to make these myself. A cordless drill works good on twisting the strands of mono or uni-thread.

Bill;
    I've made some furled leaders using 4 lb. test Berkley "Vanish". While I have not used one yet a good friend and FAOL member says they sink like a rock.
    I had read this post earlier and got to thinking about furled flourocarbon, came back and scrolled down so fast I missed Warren's post. He and I have been exchanging ideas on furled leaders for over 6 months.

Bill,

You have a PM and it will answer all your questions on furled leaders plus a free offer for you!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

A sinking line will cause your fly to travel in a horizontal plane. A sinking tip line will make it undulate. Which do you need?

A long leader will allow you to get down deep, but you fly will move "up and out" of that "deep zone" as soon as you start to move it (unless you go v e r y, v e r y s l o w l y).

A sink tip will allow your fly to go deep, quicker and as you reteive the fly, it will stay in the "deep zone" a little longer, but it will still "arc" up rather quickly.

A full sinking line or shoooting head will move your fly down to the zone quickly (depending upon the line) and as you make your retrieve, it will allow the fly to stay on a straighter line in the "deep zone". That is to say, it will be in the "deep zone" longer than either of equivolent sink tip or a long leader.

Dan Blanton explained it as "staying in the Meat Bucket longer".

Now, do you need a full sinking line...?
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread