It does my heart much joy to see an interest in Bergman's wet flies once again. I also have enjoyed very much seeing new tyers getting into tying these beautiful wet flies. What I would now like to see more of is people fishing these creations that they tie. Learning how to tye these flies and correctly is one thing but fishing them is another, Bergman provides a list of basic wet flies that he would not be with out or his recomendation list. Keep in mind all the wet flies in Trout work at specific times of the year. For instance I would not be with out a Scarlet Ibis in the summer month's or a Captain in the fall and so on. Fishing these flies there is not enough information when the flies work and what weather conditions and and time of year. I have for the last two years been finding this out. It's my third year now and adding new patterns to try and find out when they work. Like I said, tying these flies is one thing but fishing them is a whole other issue. I find this experiment fun and useful. When I list wet flies to fish with in a specific time frame it's due to my trials and tribulations. So please take these beautiful size 6 and size 8 wet flies and fish them. Yes I tye flies for displays and pictures, But I also put the same care into my fishing flies. I will say I have fished some beautiful show quality wet flies. Yes down and across is a nice way to fish a wet fly but don't forget casting up stream on certain river conditions and try using a three wet fly rig. Again, you will be surprised of the results. Living the Bergman trial and tribulation these past two years is priceless and has taught me a ton. Also this has brought me closer to some of the stories that Ray has told in his books. I'll always be a wet fly fisherman brother. I really like being a throw back in time angler and enjoy wet flies period. Been fishing wet flies this coming season for twelve years. I know some of you have your doubts on size 6 and size 8 hooks or issues with fishing a three wet fly rig or that wet flies don't work all year round. Well until you have truly tried it and seen it, you will never know what wet flies are all about. I have been very surprised watching a wet fly size 6 catch an ol wiley Trout in November and December. I have also been surprised catching a 23 in Brown Trout and next catching a 4 inch Rainbow on a size six hook that the fish could barely fit in his mouth. So in closing, I am asking every one here that is tying the Begman wet flies to fish them a little more. Have patience like you did trying to learn how to tie a nice looking wet fly. Fishing wet flies requaires a little more patience practice and can be a very humbling experience at times.

Andy B